Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Northern Pike
[size 1]In an effort to help each other get on the fish, we will be adding a series of posts entitled by the type of fishing we are targeting and would like all users who wish to include their "favorite way to catch these fish", "favorite spots" (doesn't have to be exact), "favorite guides for these fish", "tackle tips", "recommended tackle", "beginner tips", "boating techniques" or any other information you feel would be helpful to other anglers targeting this type of fish.

[size 1]For State Record Information Please visit:[/size]

[#333366][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/records/"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/records/[/url][/#333366] [/size]
[signature]
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

TheAngler BFT Moderator
Northern Pike ( Esox lucius )

Identifying characteristics: Single dorsal fin, light colored spots on darker body, upper half of gill cover and entire cheek has scales. pike cheeks are a delicacy !

As predators, northern pike can have significant impact on their prey species. As with muskies, pike lurk in the cover of vegetation in the lake’s clear, shallow, warm waters near shore, although they retreat somewhat deeper in midsummer. Pike consume large numbers of smaller fish – about 90 percent of their diet – but seem willing to supplement their diet with any living creature their huge jaws can surround, including frogs, crayfish, waterfowl, rodents, and other small mammals. Their preferred food size is approximately one third to one half the size of the pike itself.

pike spawn in the shallows in April or May, right after the ice leaves, and before muskies reproduce. As a result of their eating habits, young pike grow rapidly in both length and weight. Females become sexually mature at age three or four years, and males at two to three years. Beyond sexual maturity, pike continue to gain weight, although more slowly. pike have an average life span of 10 to 12 years.

Pike eggs and new hatchlings (which stay inactive, attached to vegetation for their first few days of life) fall prey in large numbers to larger pike, perch, minnows, waterfowl, water mammals, and even some insects. Larger pike have two primary enemies – lampreys, and man. Spawning adult northern pike, exposing themselves recklessly in the shallows, are vulnerable to bears, dogs, and other large carnivores. Since their skin has heavy pigmentation and an unappetizing mucous coating, most people skin them or scale them carefully , learning to debone them takes some practice . they have a "y-bone " skelitory system . cheeks , backstraps and fillets are all excelent eating and worth the trouble .

FISHING TIPS ;

ice fishing with a rod or tipup , a treble hook thru the tail of a large minnow .

lake fishing in a boat , casting spoons of various sizes and colors at the edges of the weed beds and retriving as a medium pace .

shore fishing , a minnow with a treble hook just behind the dorsal fin suspended by a bobber near a weed line .
[signature]
[center][Image: MESS6438CustomImage0011760.jpg][/center][center]When I am not using my thumb for pike bait I like to use a minnow on a noodle pole through the ice using a number #8 arberdein hook on 4 pound test.[/center] [center]in the summer I like to fish for them off the end of the dock casting out as far as I can with a black jitterbug during the last two hours of day light.[/center]
[signature]