Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boulder mtns info??
I am planning a late summer fishing/camping trip with the wife and wanted to try the boulder mountain lakes.I have been searching the web for maps and info.I would like info on ATV access,camping and of course fishing.If anyone would care to share info you can send it via pm if you would like.I appreciate it in advance would like to get into some wild fish!
[signature]
There are few places on the web that have maps and such. Most are fairly basic and don't give you very detailed road/trail info.

I would reccommend getting some 7.5 Minute USGS topographical maps. I have found them extremely helpful in studying terrain prior to going and they do a fairly good job at telling you where roads and trails are. I get mine at a place in Lindon called "Utah Idaho Map Supply World", each map costs $6 dollars or so and they will laminate it for you for another couple of bucks. Finding the one you want could be fun at times, I had to have help from the store employee the first time I bought one, but once you see how it's done it's pretty easy. Not sure where you are, but I'm sure other places would carry them too.

As far as the fishing....well, I can't help you much there. I'm about the worst fisherman on this forum, you really don't want any of my advice. I think that PETA has placed some sort of voodoo on me so I won't ever catch any fish.

Good luck on your trip, I want to go out there some time too. Roughing it Outdoors had a section on the boulder mountain lakes and it looked amazing. It looks like even someone like me could catch something there.

Nica
[signature]
[quote Nica]T
As far as the fishing....well, I can't help you much there. I'm about the worst fisherman on this forum, you really don't want any of my advice. I think that PETA has placed some sort of voodoo on me so I won't ever catch any fish.

Nica[/quote]

PETA got to my dog one weekend, luckily she escaped (see pic).
[signature]
The Boulder Mts actually are one of the most ATV and vehicle friendly of our National Forests. There is a surfaced road from Torrey to Boulder that crosses the eastern part of the mountain. There are several lakes on that side, Lower Bowns, Oak Creek, etc that are generally pretty good fishing. The west side is also accessible by gravel roads on the Parker Mountains to the west. As the roads go onto the Boulders, they get considerably more rough. As far as maps, stop in at the Forest Service in Loa. They have a Dixie National Forest travel plan. It show all the roads and which ones are approved for ATV, vehicle, or non-motorized access. I was on the south west side on Friday and fished Row and Miller Lakes. Those two lakes hold rainbows but there had been a significant fish winter kill on Row. As I tried to go in the truck to less accessible lakes such as Purple, Spectacle, and McGath to find brook trout, the wife complained that the roads were too rough so we turned around. You know, keep the wife happy. An ATV would have been better. There are unimproved places to camp almost anywhere on the Boulders. Also there are not too many people that use the area which is a plus to me. One more thing, check out the Divisions website under southern Utah streams. Several of the Boulder streams are listed there (ie Pine Creek).
[signature]
lol....she doesn't seem to be enjoying that at all....I don't blame her.
[signature]
I fished the Boulder Mountains a bunch when I lived in Vegas.

Here's some old content from [url "http://utahoutdoors.com/bouldermountain/index.htm"]Utah Fishing and Outdoors Magazine[/url]. There's a "map" link and a "waters" link near the bottom of the page. It's a good general map but you should get a topo also. I'm not sure how accurate the species listed in each lake was at the time of publication let alone now 15 years later. The species didn't seem very accurate even 15 years ago to me.

A variety of things have worked for me in those lakes. Throwing hardware like Panther Martins, Super Dupers, Jakes, and Z-Rays. Fly and bubble combos (match the hatch) work too. You can also dunk cutthroat cocktails (worm and marshmallow combo), air injected worms, or floating doe bait on a Carolina rig, all of which help float the bait above the inevitable weed bed on the bottom of those lakes. You can dangle bait below a bobber to keep it above the weed bed also. Take a variety of options, do some fishing, and enjoy the scenery.
[signature]
[quote brookie]As I tried to go in the truck to less accessible lakes such as Purple, Spectacle, and McGath to find brook trout, the wife complained that the roads were too rough so we turned around.[/quote]

[laugh] My wife had her arms tightly wrapped around her chest every time we went into those lakes.
[signature]
I recently watched that segment on roughin it outdoors and the fishing up at boulder looked incredible. The lakes they were fishing were kept somewhat secret, but there were tons and tons of big brook's in them, so many that they were actually encouraging folks to harvest their limits.

I can,t give much info either, but there was a guide up there with them and they continually gave the website info that if you looked the episode up online I bet you could get that website and dig up some good info.

Good luck to ya!
[signature]
I was one of the ones there fishing during that show and I can say yes the fishing was good. However you should know it wouldn't take much to fish out many of the boulder lakes. Not all of the brooky lakes down there have reproduction issues. In fact many have 0 reproduction. Be smart and don't harvest where the resource can't handle it. Also know that one of the days we were filming we caught 3 fish with 5 guys fishing for over 5 hours. TV makes everything look better.
[signature]
Wow that is interesting, I am glad to hear from someone that was on that trip. Ya I was way impressed with the footage they took, because it looked similar to some of the salmon runs up on Alaska that I have seen, but it is good to get some actual inside info.

I am definitely for the release so that they can get bigger for my next trips or the next fellow. It does look good for TV, but it was good to hear from you, Thanks!
[signature]