Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crowley Lake
I usually don't guarantee that a specific bait or lure will always work consistantly but now I think I can go out on the limb. I spent last Sunday, Monday and Tuesday fishing Lake Crowley with an old buddy who is a fishing guide on Lake Tahoe. Yes, he takes a few days off from fishing to go fishing. He loves to get his 20 foot Lund, with its' full covers,a heater, a giant 4 stroke Mercury, small trolling motor and absolutely nail the trout. I was told to troll a small, pink or bubblegum colored Needlefish at four colors of lead line. My buddy used the pink color and caught 4 times more than I did. I purposefully did not use it because I was experimenting with other lures preparing for a trout tourney that I'm in next month. We releasd everthing but caught 30+ trout each day. I highly recommend this lure on Crowley. It's a wonderful lake between its' bi-weekly storms and daily winds.
[signature]

Hi there gvanzant,

Thanks for the heads up. For those that don't have lead core line what would you suggest they do to get the lure down? I haven't used lead core line in a long time. Was each color 6 or 10 feet in length? I believe you ran the line out till the next color after, say your fourth color, was just at the water line not the rod tip. Ya it has been a long time! ha ha

The guys at Irvine Lake were doing very well with the needlefish trolled when others were not getting bit very well, according to reports a couple of weeks ago.

JapanRon
[signature]
JapanRon: I am in the process of writing a story on lead line fishing. It will appear under "George's Corner". This is an effort to get the guys on the boards into my stories. I just finished a multi-part version of fishing the LA and Long Beach harbors. The story about the Seal Beach Pier was the last. Go for it!
[signature]

Hi there gvanzant,

You know me. The first thing I look at is the comic strip and the second thing is if you've got a new article in the saltwater writers box! Read it, love it and ....... expect more of the same!

I'm curious about the Palo Verde area's shore fishing potential. I know it can be a long vertical walk! ha ha
Seriously, besides the nudist beach, are there some hard to get to but easy to fish areas where there are no boilers to drown you in a float tube, hard rock right up to the high tide mark or kelp so close to shore that fishy is gone in a heart beat. Experienced these situations sometimes all three at once.

What do I want? 100 yard stretch of quiet, calm, sandy, shallow beach, 200 or 300 yards of open area in the kelp, and easy access to the seaward side of the kelp via float tube.

Got any ideas from your vast location directory? I don't mind driving all over a difficult to follow street or area.

JapanRon
[signature]
George, good luck in the tourney next month. What are the dates? One of these years I am going to fish that thing. If you want to do a recap or atleast give me a photo of you from the tourney, you know how to get a hold of me. Shawn [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com"]www.bigfishtackle.com[/url] shawn's chronicles
[signature]
JapanRon: Palos Verdes is the closest area we have near Long Beach that offers the true rocky, white water, kelp and currents of the wild habitat. The trouble is the whole area is unpredictable as to nut crunching, suprise attacks by the Pacific.I have dove the area in the past for Abalone, Lobster,Rock Scallops and crabs. Going from the shore outwards wasn't difficult because we could swim under the waves,but I don't know about a tube. The best entry point on the whole Palos Verdes area would be the Lee side bays of Portugee Point or Long Point. Still, I would be prepared for sudden waves. We have fished Palos Verde many times up close from a small boat in about 8 feet of water. The motor was kept running, no anchor and we kept the bow pointed to sea.(The giant calicos liked to swim along the shore in a foot of water and grab dark colored jigs, the closer to shore the better but it lasted only about an hour, 1/2 hour to sunrise to 1/2 after sunrise.) So, tubing could be done but tie every thing down and take one for the team, you'll dry quickly.
[signature]

Hi there gvanzant,

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I ought to just take a rod and some plastic FT's and BH's and go exploring at different times to get a feel for a few areas.

Every once in a while the cattle boats, I often ride, will hit the PV kelp and it's almost always bendo for the calicos and small WSB.

Of course, the kayakers really have the advantage, if the wind is not howling but, I'm 'doin' it in a tube' so......

Gonna hit Cabrillo tomorrow for the slimesticks, WSB, and halibut with those cute little live smelts. Bait Barges are there too but...... there's just something about a nicer size smelt.

JapanRon
[signature]
Hello Big George!

Did you get a chance to throw the Willey Lure at'em?
[signature]
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

TheAngler BFT Moderator