• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fly Line
I need some help. bought a new 420 tube want to
take my older fenwick 8'6'' 7-8 wt fishing up in the
small lakes in the uintas.My question is what weight
and type of sinking line should i buy.
Thanks for the help.
[signature]
I like a type 3 intermediate sink for most of my stillwater fishing... Lots of other folks recommend a cortland clear camo sinking line.. It doesn't sink as fast as a type 3 but will work great as well.. Sinking line is the best was to stillwater fish.

Hounddog
[signature]
A 7/8 wt for the Uintas? Are you sure that is what it is? Seems a little on the tree trunk side to me.[crazy]
Answering your ??, i bought a changeable sink tip line for getting down deeper and it works awesome. I can still use the line as floating but can change in a heartbeat to a sink tip. I bought it at Sportsmans for under $20.[Wink]
[signature]
Thanks for the reply I didn't buy the 7-8 wt for the
uintas I have had it for years used it in the lakes of
southern idaho and the bigger rivers.Money being a
little short and the price of fuel I can afford a new line but
not a new rod.
[signature]
First of [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/community/community.cgi?do=user_page;pg=user_profile_view.html;username=Hounddog"][#000000]Hounddog[/#000000][/url], there is INTERMEDIATE and there is TYPE III, they aren't the same. You could have a sink tip that is a TYPE III on the end and it goes into an Intermediate.

I also have the MUTI TIP line. But my set up was over $100. It has 15' sink tips (4 of them) but at times I find the connection gets in the way.
You could get by with sink tips.
My choice in the Uinta's is one rod rigged with Floating and one rod rigged with a TYPE II (Density Compensated)
There is also the wet cells for sinking lines, difference is Density Compensated sinks uniformly with no belly and a Wet Cell forms a belly (for weedy waters)

I probably use a TYPE II more than any other sinking line. An Lunker is right, in that you can find a good deal on sinking lines.
Floating line I will say get the BEST, but a sinking line I don't think is as important.
If you have but one reel......sink tip might be a better choice.
[signature]
Make sure to take your floating line for the awsome evening hatches.
Infact I never use a sinking line up there on my tube,lakes are shallow,
fish are near shores and dead falls so usually it's dry flys or small nymphs
on long leaders for me. Unless you are hitting the major put and take fisheries
like Mirror lake etc. then go get your fly line. For a 7/8 weight you should be able
to find a sinking real cheap, the big box stores order them not knowing what they are
buying,nobody buys them and they end up in their discount bins. Lucky you!
I have a floating line and I also have another spool I live
in manila ut so the lakes I will be fishing most are the
gorge, Brownie,Sheep Creek, Longs Park,Spirit.maybe
Matt Warner.
[signature]
Well HFT has given you excellent advise and he would know cause he USE to own one of my Favorite fly shops.......broke my heart James, broke my heart.

Just a little FYI...I took my sonar on a few of the NAME lakes in the Uinta...Trial is around 50+ feet,,...yup and Mirror around 48' along the tree / cliff side.

I have caught 16" out of there and heard stories of even bigger.
[signature]
The lakes you mention are the etc's, do get the sinking line. then throw the floating on for the evening hatches.
[signature]
Amen Brother! Yellow Sally's...WAHOO!
[signature]
A yellow sally,I'm guessing it is a fly
[signature]
You guessed right
http://www.danica.com/flytier/bsalzburg/..._sally.htm
Also with a red butt.
[signature]
[#008000]Yes, a Yellow sally is a fly.[/#008000]
[#008000][/#008000]
[#008000]It can be tied as a dry or a wet fly. The dry is a caddis looking thing with a yellow body (sometimes a bit a red on the head or tail works good too). [/#008000]
[#008000][/#008000]
[#008000]I like to use a 4 weight rod with a floating line on the smaller lakes. I also bring a sink tip for the wet flies. However, because the lakes are shallow up there, you could probably make do with a floating line and a long leader. Make sure you pre soak your wet fly so that it starts to sink as soon as it lands - count down for the depth you want to fish and then strip the line really slow. [/#008000]
[signature]
Thanks for the link flygoddess.I will have to get some tied
up.It looks like a grey hackle yellow with hair wing.I use to
fish the grey hackle on Logan and Blacksmith Fork years
ago with my father.
Thanks to everyone for the infor keep if coming I need all
the help I can get.
[signature]