Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CIGARETTE BUTTS
I WAS RECENTLY FISHING WITH MY WIFE ON LAKE CACHUMA IN CALIFORNIA, WHILE WE WERE STOPPED BY FISH AND GAME FOR WHAT I THOUGHT WAS A ROUTINE LICENSE INSPECTION TURNED OUT HE WAS WATCHING MY WIFE WITH BINOCULARS AS SHE DISCARDED A CIGARETTE INTO THE LAKE ACCORDING TO THE OFFICER. HE WROTE HER UP FOR A MISDEMEANOR OF FISH AND GAME CODE 5652. HAS ANYONE EVER RECIEVED A TICKET SUCH AS THIS AND WHAT KIND OF FINES DOES THIS CARRY? IS THERE A WAY TO FIGHT THIS?
[signature]
You could probably fight it but I'm not sure.My opinion though is youre wife deserves that ticket if you trash a lake you're ruining the expierience of fishing for everyone else and you better be ready to pay the price.
[signature]
your best bet is to go in front of the magistrate and plea guilty and ask for a 100 hours of community service to keep this off your record.

you have not a chance of beating this since you have a witness against you.

the fine can be any where from $500 to $2500 depending where you were. (if you decide to fight it and lose you will be faced with the heavest fines posible plus cort cost)

It is best to say you have learned that this is a mistake and you wish to make amends.

chances are good that she will be faced with picking up cigerett buts. out of a park some where.

15% of all forest fires are caused by cigarett butts

30% of all house fires are caused by cigarett butts

I am not against any one who smokes, I did smoke at one time and for the most part quit. I still use a pipe or cigar on seldom ocations.

Please if you are going to smoke, do so responcibly, just like drinking, you can effect the lives of those around you, weather it be human or animal and plant.

rule of thumb, if you carried it in to the woods or on the water then you are expected to carry it out of the woods or off the water.

this is not so much a moral issue as it is a personal constitutional issue.

just like flinging a fish hook, dont axidently hook some one in the eye while casting, pay attention to what you are doing and be deliberate in your actions.
[signature]
I have to admit [size 1]CIGARETTE BUTTS are disgusting to see in the water, and on land. It is just like littering in my opinion. I was once stopped by a park ranger who asked me why my scouts and I kept reaching down on the ground. [/size]I told him I was picking up trash on a trail. He said what trash, I can't see anything you are picking up. I showed him they were cigarette butts people have dropped on the ground. He was impressed with that. He congratulated my scouts on a great job they were doing. As far as your wife goes she should go the the judge and [size 1]apologize[/size] for her actions. Do some community service and pay the fine. I am glad the California Fish and Game Officer did his job and would like to congratulate him for it.
[signature]
"UA MAU KE EA O KA AINA I KA PONO" I DO ADMIT THAT CIGARETTE BUTTS ARE UNSIGHTLY, THIS IS THE REASON THAT I WAS TAUGHT TO SMOKE NON FILTERS BY MY UNCLE WHO SERVED IN NAM. YOU FINISH SMOKING THEN YOU "FIELD STRIP" IT SO YOU LEAVE NO TRAIL FOR CHARLIE. BUT LET ME ASK YOU THIS MY FRIEND, SCOUTS BEING SCOUTS AND BOYS BEING BOYS.... WHEN YOU OUT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE WOODS WHERE DO YOU GO TO THE BATHROOM?????? DO YOU CRAP IN A PLASTIC BAG AND PACK IT OUT WITH YOU?? I DON'T DENY THAT THE WARDEN WAS DOING HIS JOB, FINE. I'VE BEEN SMOKING FOR A LOT OF YEARS AND FISHING FOR MORE THAN THAT, THIS IS THE FIRST TIME I'VE EVER HEARD OF GETTING A CITATION. I GUESS WHAT IM TRYING TO SAY IS THAT YEAH SURE EVERY ONE HAS AN OPINION ON THE SUBJECT... WHAT IS MORALLY RIGHT OR WRONG AND ENVIROMENTAL FOR THAT MATTER. WHAT I'M LOOKING FOR IS HAS ANY ONE ELSE BEEN CITED FOR THIS AND HOW MUCH IS IT GOING TO COST ME. I'M SORRY IF THIS POST OFFENDS ANYONE, BUT HUMAN NATURE IS SO MUCH EASIER TO CRITICIZE.
[signature]
ok tell me where the fine was presented at, location park or other wise give me the name of the city and the cort you will have to apear in. I will check to see what the standard rate for littering is in that particular area.

like I said before some areas are extreamily strict on this issue. and the fine can be as harsh as shooting an elk out of season with out a permit. (Poching)

You can also call the number on the ticket and ask the clerk what it will cost you to plea no contest and pay the fine. Please be warned that this is not like a speeding ticket, this is a civil infraction that stays on your perminate record and can be used as evedence in future cort cases to build chariter refferance. (the james dean syndrom / the rebble) An exageration but true refferance to this can be found in a song recorded by arlo guthery "alias' resterant" arlo was thrown in jail for singing this song in a coffee house back in the 60's

environmentaly these but filters remain on the ground for years before they sink in to the ground to last a few more years. I have picked up cigaret buts that have been laying around for years, they are semi bio undegradable. meaning it takes a long time for the fibers in a filter to break down. In addition you can add ferther hazard to the natural enfironment with the 300 some odd chemicels that are added to cigaretts to keep them burning. One of most hazardus chemicle in cigaretts is amonia, the thing that makes cigaretts adictive. You can come back in a year and find that but sitting just where you threw it and see that nothing is growing with in a few centimeters of the butt.

and guess what, if you are caught releaving your self in the woods of a park then you can expect to find another citation comming your way. Yes they do write citations for this. (depending where you are)

it is not so much a moral thing as it is a sanitation thing.

get this,... if you hook in to a can in the river and you throw it back you can be cited for littering

how ever you decide to handle this you should come back and let us know how it whent.
[signature]
THANKS DAVE THATS ALL I'M ASKING.[Smile]
[signature]
O.K. I DON'T AGREE WITH LITTERING EITHER , I SPEND COUNTLESS HOURS EVERY YEAR PICKING UP TRASH , BUT , I DON'T AGREE WITH THE C.O. PUTTING PEOPLE UNDER SURVELANCE WAITING FOR THEM TO MAKE A MISTAKE EITHER . BEFORE I START , I AM NOT A LAWYER , JUST A BLUE COLLAR FACTORY WORKER WITH A HIGH SCHOOL EDUCATION.

IN COURT YOU NEED TO KNOW FROM THE OFFICER WHAT ACTIONS THAT YOU WERE DOING THAT CAUSED HIN TO PUT YOU UNDER SURVELANCE . SMOKING IS NOT A JUSTIFIABLE CAUSE , IT IS NOT ILLEAGLE TO SMOKE . ANY OTHER REASON THAT HE GIVES , WELL , DIDN'T PAN OUT SO HE USED THE CIGARETTE AS AN EXCUSE FOR SPYING ON YOU . WHY WAS HE "LUREING " AT YOUR WIFE AND NOT WATCHING YOU ? YOU WERE THE OPERATOR OF THE BOAT . THE WIFE WAS THE PASSENGER . SHULDN'T HE HAVE BEEN CONCERTRATING ON YOU INSTEAD ?

HOW DO YOU KNOW FOR SURE THIS GUY JUST ISN'T A PERV TRYING TO GET HER PERSONAL INFORMATION ? DOES HE OR HAS HE HAD ANY COMPLAINTS FILED AGAINST HIM IN ANY FORM , ODDS ARE YES .

THE DISTANCE BETWEEN YOU AND HE AND THE LENGTH OF TIME DURING SURVELANCE NEEDS TO BE TAKEN INTO CONCIDERATION AND THE BINOCULARS WEIGHT . ON A TRIPOD PROVES UNWARENTED SURVELANCE AND INNEFECTIVE ON A MOVING OBJECT , HANDHELD IMPOSSIBLE TO KEEP A STEADY FOCAL POINT ON A STATIONARY OBJECT LET ALONE A BOAT BOUNCING ON THE WAVES . TO FOCUS ON A CIGARETTE BUT AT ??? YARDS ON A VEHICAL IN MOTION ? PRIOR TO YOUR APPEARANCE DATE GET PERMISSION FROM THE COURT TO BRING IN A VIDEO CAMERA ( SMALL ONE ABOUT 3-5 LBS. IN WEIGHT , HAVE SOMEONE IN COURT FLICK A CIGARETTE BUTT FROM ACROSS THE ROOM AND SEE IF HE CAN FOLLOW IT . NO WAY , NO CASE .

EVEN THOU YOUR WIFE MAY BE GUILTY , JUDGES FROWN ON OFFICERS WHO PURPOSELY WATCH PEOPLE WITHOUT A WARRENT OR "PROBBLE CAUSE " WAITING FOR ANY EXCUSE TO TICKET THEM , SMOKING IS NOT PROBBLE CAUSE .

IF YOU DO WIN PUT A PEACE BOND OUT ON THE OFFICER , THIS GOES ON HIS RECORD AND KEEPS YOU CLEAR OF ANY REPRISALS FROM HIM .

THERE ARE PLENTY OF FREE LEAGLE ADVICE WEB PAGES TO GUIDE YOU IN GETTING FREE LEGAL ADVICE OR EVEN A LAWYER . WITH A LAWYER YOU HAVE A BETTER CHANCE AT WINNING , WHEN YOU WIN YOU FILE SUIT FOR YOUR COSTS , INCLUDING THE LAWYERS FEES . I'M NO LAWYER BUT I DO KNOW MY RIGHTS . BEING SPIED ON (EVEN IN PUBLIC PLACES )IS ILLEAGEL WITHOUT A PROBBLE CAUSE .

I'M SURE YOUR WIFE HAS LEARNED A VALUABLE LESSON FROM ALL OF THIS , SO I WON'T BUST MY GUMS OVER IT . GOOD LUCK !
[signature]
[Sad]Wow! I am sorry if I [size 1]ruffled[/size] some feathers here. As a matter of fact I have seen personally a Nevada Highway Patrol offiver give a fellow worker a ticket for throwing down a cigarette on the ground. The officer was giving this guy a ticket for speeding. This guy got mad and through his cigarette on the ground right in front of the officer. The officer asked him to pick it up and he refused. He was wrote out a ticket for littering for $200 and had to clean 2 miles of highway by the judge. Now I am sorry if I offended you in any way I was just stating an [size 1]opinion[/size]. Remember Opinions are like A@@ [url "mailto:H*&#@s"]H*&#s[/url] everyone has one.

By the way if you go Backpacking in some places in Arizona, not only do you have to pack out all your toilet paper you have to take your waste too. So we simply take lots of toilet paper, plastic bags, and I fix up a piece PVC pipe, caps on both ends and place [size 1]everything[/size] in it and dispose of it properly. I don't like it to much but thats what we have to do. [cool]
[signature]

Hey there Nighthawk,

Let's get back to fishies!

As I replied to SHAKA on the California board, Our cute little trout friends apparently think that the filters are something yummy (I've heard this but it might be a fishing urban legend) to eat and the filters remained in the trouts (fishes) stomach UNDIGESTED. Our poor little finny creatures! I don't eat fish so I don't clean them so I don't have a clue as to what's in their tummys.

If this is true, I guess restrictions are going to be made above and beyond just the litering issue.

JapanRon
[signature]
ITS ALL GOOD... ALL I WAS LOOKING FOR WAS IF ANYONE HAS BEEN CITED FOR THIS AND WHAT THE FINES WERE AND THE POSSIBILITY OF GETTING IT REDUCED FROM A MISDEMEANOR TO AN INFRACTION. OPINIONS ARE COOL THATS WHY WE PARTICIPATE ON THESE BOARDS. WHAT I DON'T LIKE IS EVERYONE IS GUILTY OF SOMETHING KNOWINGLY OR UNKNOWINGLY, BUT DONT PASS JUDGEMENT ON ME FOR MY SHORTCOMINGS, RATHER, HELP TO FIND A RESOLUTION. THANK YOU TO ALL WHO PARTICIPATE ON THESE BOARDS AND FOR ALL YOUR FEEDBACK. AND TOO NIGHTHAWK... NO HARM NO FOUL.[Wink]
[signature]
GOOD BOY FOR GRAMPA!!!!!!!!!1 YESSA, THAT,S WHAT I,M FEELIN. I AIN,T APOLOGIZIN FOR IT EITHER.CAUSE I,M A SMOKER AND I PUT MINE IN MY POCKETS TILL I GIT HOME AND THROW EM OUT. I LOVE MY FISHIN SPOTS AND THE ANIMALS AND I DON,T WANT EM GITTIN IT CAUGHT IN THEIR THROAT. THAT MEANS MY HOUND MY DEER BEAR COON AND ANYTHIN WILD. IT.S WRONG IF YA LOVE OUR ENVIROMENT AND LOVE BEIN OUT THERE. SORRY BUT SHE DOES DESERVE IT AND YA SHOULD OF TOLD HER THAT FOR YA WENT.!!!IF YOU CARE ABOUT IT TOO.
[signature]