Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another lost dog report 12/27
We headed out expecting the worst and got the best. The only bad roads was the mouth of weber canyon, the rest was smooth sailing. We arrived at green river about 2:00 and checked into our hotel room, we got dressed for the ice, cranked up the heater, then it was out the door. The only roads I expected to be bad was lost dog road(12), but the wind has taken care of that, it was nothing but dirt road all the way down.

When arrived there was a lot of anglers out there. Most on the big cliff on the corner that takes you down lake. We decided to head up the blacks fork arm a bit. We parked the truck right on the shore line and hiked about 100 yds. up the east shoreline. We chose our shelter spot about in 30 ft. of water. Wind was a bastard setting up the tent.

Nothing on the end of our pole for about an hour, untill about 4:00 got our very first burbot. Ten minute later the little man yells fish on, man that was awesome. Bout 20 min. after that my bro nails his first one. Then the action just died.

After watching all of dumb and dumber I got sick of no catching, and got suited and booted to fish outside the tent. I drilled a hole about 10 ft. closer to the shoreline in bout 15-20 ft. of water. Bout two seconds in the water I had fish on. 60 seconds later I had another fish on. 2 min. later I had another. That got my brother and my nephew out of the tent and drilling more holes. We nailed about twenty in one hour. All in all we ended up with 23 fish.

We called it a night at eleven the cold was nothing. It got windy at times, but for the most part we didn't even need the shelter. The wind has the ice bare with no snow so footing was really really slick.

The bites are almost non detectable. We probably had 50 bites that we have no knowledge of. For the bashers I suggest using a little extra weight on your line, to keep it tighter. Keep the pole in your hand always. Let it rest on the bottem and slightly pull up till your line is tight. And give it a one inch jig every once in awhile to see if anything is on the other end of your line.

Sorry no pictures my bro's camera flash crapped out. And I got good but not the best video.
[signature]
Thanks for posting your report Hazmattr,sounds like a good trip. How late did you stay on the ice before you headed in? What was your biggest burbot?
[signature]
We stayed till 11:30 at night we probably would've stayed longer but we told the womenz if they didn't hear from us by midnight to call the forest service. Man ten O'clock the bite really picked up. We didn't measure any but I nailed one i'd say was about 24". Only three were little dinks though.
[signature]
How thick was the ice???
Was it capped???
[signature]
I didn't measure it but has to at least be eight inches where we drilled. And five inches in a few spots. No worries unless your bringing a snow mobile.
[signature]
[font "Times New Roman"][#000000]Good catching. You you trying for lakers and 'bows also?[/#000000][/font]
[signature]
I figured some rainbows would just pop up on the end of my line, but it never happened. And I wanted to do a mack hunt in the morning, but we hit the burbot fishing hard and was worn out. So that never happened. Whacking the burbot, then pulling in a fat mack would be a pretty sweet trip.
[signature]
[quote hazmattr]I didn't measure it but has to at least be eight inches where we drilled. And five inches in a few spots. No worries unless your bringing a snow mobile.[/quote]T[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4]he following guidelines are posted on the Minnisota DNR's website:[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#000000]For New, Clear Ice Only[/#000000][/font]
[ul][li][font "Comic Sans MS"][#000000][size 4]2" or less - STAY OFF [/size][/#000000][/font][li][font "Comic Sans MS"][#000000][size 4]4" - Ice fishing or other activities on foot [/size][/#000000][/font][li][font "Comic Sans MS"][#000000][size 4]5" - Snowmobile or ATV [/size][/#000000][/font][li][font "Comic Sans MS"][#000000][size 4]8" - 12" - Car or small pickup [/size][/#000000][/font][li][font "Comic Sans MS"][#000000][size 4]12" - 15" - Medium truck[/size][/#000000][/font][/li][/ul][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4]I'm curious as to why you think using a snowmobile on 5" to 8" should cause one to worry. This is not meant to be a mean spirited slam. I'm really curious as to why you feel it would be unwise or unsafe to use a snowmobile under the conditions you described.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
[quote dubob][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4]I'm curious as to why you think using a snowmobile on 5" to 8" should cause one to worry. .[/size][/#800000][/font][/quote]

Why not err on the side of caution? Any time I take my ATV on the ice I worry! Ice conditions, especially this time of year, are typically not uniform in all areas. Some areas form sooner than other -- thin spots are not an unusual condition this time of year.

I'd recommend anyone taking an ATV or snowmobile to be careful, and at least worry a little bit...
[signature]
Exactly what pbh said.
[signature]
I am heading out for lost dog this weekend for my first shot at burbot. I heard 1/8 oz. glow jigs tipped with sucker meat, is that right? What did you catch them on?

Thanks
Pacs
[signature]
We used sucker meat and red side shiners. The shiners produce the most. I honestly don't think it matters though. We brought crayfish anise smell gel but didn't use it much. If you have meat your good, location is the key. Try a hole in a pile of rocks if it's no good for an hour or so try the a different depth in the same spot. That was the key for us. I'm thinking 1/8 is good, you want good weight to keep your line tight. I used fresh water basics 3" tube with a 3" grub tail shoved up the hook as far as I could. Next time i'm trying those radical glows though.
[signature]
Thanks for the advice. Looks like I'll be taking a trip to Cabelas for the radical glows.

Pacs
[signature]
Yeah thats why I put the jigs together for more glow. But fishermen on here say they glow brighter and longer. Sold me.
[signature]
I have an ATV and want to stay all night on the ice in a tent...

I have done this a long time ago, but didn't have the right sleeping bag but now I think or hope I do its rated for -60....
[signature]
Word of caution to all that want to play in the confluence area at night on wheeler or sled.
Almost annually a large rip occures been the north point of the confluence and the east side. Use a lot of caution when traveling. Trust me, its darn cold and wet if you drop through it at night..
[signature]
Thanks will watch for it....[:/]
[signature]