Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Attack of the Needlefish

Hi there guys,

I thought I would go and check out what other kinds of fish I could catch with TubeDudes RoadRunners and darts. I had a little confidence as I had caught Bass, a Catfish, Trout, Bluegill, and 2 nice Carp in a two day period at one of my and dh tubinarrons local haunts i.e El Doh!! (otherwise known as El Dorado Park Lake)

The San Gabriel Rivers has a lot of water with fish in it so I headed to my spot on PCH. If you like action and have a knack for catching the wierd fish you're in business around that area. It's batray heaven, it's Diamond Turbot towne, it's short Halibut city, it's mullet... well you get the idea.

Being overcast, I chose a black 1/8 RoadRunner with a gold blade/body/tensil tail. (It's a shame even to throw it in the water!) After I saw what had been done by the city, I knew the Zebra Perch wouldn't be hanging around so I just stated hitting the bridge support and those likely depressions and such where I figured something would be lying it wait to pounce.

First, second, third cast... Huh what's that?! All three times it seemed like the shadows off the rocky bottom contour were changing. My forth quartering cast, upcurrent to drift-by and across pattern, I got a bump on something. Hummm Fifth cast I got nailed mid-way on the final sweet spot swing. Nice fight on 2lb test and my whippy 91/2 ft noodle rod.

I got down near the water line and was ready to scoop up my prize and gently cradle it in the palm of my hand when this 14 to 16 inch (mostly beak) monster rose from the murky depths. Whoa, 2lb test! my lure! Just then, I practiced my professional release technique, without even thinking about it! Imagine that!

Switched spools to the 8lb fluorocarbon and continued to catch 4 more before they seemed to disappear. Happy, I took off to find those pesky Tilapia further down the road.

Lots of fun, and I didn't get bit off once!!!

JapanRon
[signature]
[cool]Hey, JR, you tryin' to teach my little jewels some bad habits?

Seriously, on some occasions, needlefish can be a pain. I find them a lot in the Sea of Cortez. They average about 36" down there, though, and can be almost 5 feet. They often roam near the surface, in big schools, off points or inside where currents or wind sweep baitfish by. They are aggressive and it is almost impossible to get a lure through them to whatever might be below them.

The problem is, they chew up lures without getting hooked in that hard beak, unless they take down inside their mouths. When I get tired of replacing shredded plastics, I tie on some specially made jigs or flies that I wrap with Velcro bodies. (Learned that trick from some gar fishermen). When a needle fish grabs it, the velcro tangles in the teeth...at least long enough for one of their characteristic high twisting leaps.

Most Velcro hookups still result in a "long line release", but at least you get a couple of exciting jumps. I ain't too keen on getting them close to my tube anyway. Those beaks also serve as spears...as some of the night fishermen in the south seas have learned when needle fish come leaping out of the water at their lighted up sails...meant to attract flying fish.

Here's a two-part pic I took of a needlefish, for those who have never seen one up close and personal.

[Image: SCOU1712CustomImage0278758.jpg]
[signature]

Hi TubeDude,

Oh yes, those are the sneaky little creatures allright! Every cast had them coming up near shore but only the greedy one's got caught. ha ha 35 inches!!! No Thank You !!....... Mr. or Ms Needlefish!!

JapanRon
[signature]
oooohhhh needlefish thats what you call a saltwater gar LOL

aquaman
[signature]
[cool]I got a lot more "CREATIVE" names for 'em too. Especially when they keep destroying my expensive plastics by intercepting them before they can drop down into the depths where the better and bigger fishies live.

One major difference between needlefish and gars is in the edibility. Nobody but nobody keeps gars to eat. But, needlefish are good eating and are highly prized by fishermen around the world.

TubeDude
[signature]
Is the needle fish related to the barracuda? the head looks almost identical.

joe
[signature]