Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
*Reward * for tips for Fishlake
I have the honor [unsure] of taking a couple of venture scouts to fishlake this weekend. I have no idea where to go or what to fish [unimpressed]. I have a boat with fishfinder, electric trolling motor, and a hand down rigger. I have bought some large (3-4") silver and gold spoons and a whole bunch of tube jigs in 2.5-5" range with 1/4 to 1/2 oz jig heads. I think I will be able to catch some of the rainbows and splake, but I thought it would be great if one of the boys could catch a larger mac. If anyone could give me any help to increase the odds of catching a larger fish I would greatly appreciate it. I have also tied up some 6" rabbit hair jigs with 1/2 oz heads someone said they use on flaming gorge for macs and will send anyone a couple of them who gives a good tip that helps us catch a mac [Wink]. I know this is bribery, but I am desperate [shocked]. I will post pics and report when I get back on Saturday. If you don't want your tip public, PM at [url "mailto:yostm2002@hotmail.com"]yostm2002@hotmail.com[/url] Thanks.
[signature]
[font "Courier New"][#0000ff][size 2]First, let me say that I am by no means an expert on Fishlake. I have only hit it hard for macks through the ice and only a few times from a boat. My primary technique from a boat has been vertical jigging and has consistently produced only a few fish, the largest being about 8 lbs. With that said, Probably the best advice I can give is to catch a few perch in the shallows to "sweeten" your jigs with before heading out to deeper water. They can easily be caught all over the lake by just dropping a small hook with a piece of crawler on it into the weeds. I filet the perch leaving only a small portion of meat on the skin and then cut them into triangular strips about 2" long and 1/4" wide at the top. Some people I have ice fished with just use the plain meat, but the skin helps it stay on a lot better and I have noticed no difference in catch rates. The most productive areas for me have always been either the north end of the lake in about 70-80' of water. I have also nailed a few along the east shore and "cheese hole" on the south. [/size][/#0000ff][/font]

[font "Courier New"][#0000ff][size 2]I hope this little bit will help and GOOD LUCK![/size][/#0000ff][/font]
[size 2]As a former scout master, you have my sympathies. Start on the outside edge of the weedline. Fish the weedline for perch and cast deeper for splake/bows. Once you catch your first perch, use its eyes for perch bait and fillet it and use the meat to sweeten jigs tossed deeper for splake.[/size]

[size 2]I kept my scouts happy with lots of snacks (that wouldn't get stuck in the boat carpet) and fishing for numbers rather than size. Take your earplugs and Excedrin.[/size]