Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Frames/ was pontoon wheels
Yes, I did build that frame, very simple FLAT frame as you describe. These FLAT only work well with very large pontoons where there is lots of flotation to make up for a very unstable HIGH center of gravity. Flipping is a real danger with a high center of gravity when you encounter water disturbances such as rapids, wakes from big boats, high winds, etc.

The curve down between toons is meant to lower the center of gravity and has the secondary effect of keeping the pontoons from rolling. Sitting low enough to have your butt in the water is the most stable, but I never wear waders and hate sitting in any pool of water or even standing in it - that's only one of many reasons why I don't use kayaks or canoes.

My design will use a flat frame with very small pontoons with a center section that drops down below the main support bars and compensates for stability by being considerably wider. You can keep the pontoons from rolling using different approaches, let me know if you want more details...

Pon

From flygoddess:
Is that a frame you built? It looks like just a couple of bars with some sort of end holding them together. Plus I like that is doesn't curve down between the toons like most, but how do you keep the toons stable (keep them from rolling in or out.
I have a FLAT frame also, but there is a bar underneath to attach the toon to so it can roll in or out.
[signature]