Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Emergency breakup in cold water- options?
Have any of you had a major tube failure or frame failure in cold water? What did/would you do to best survive such a situation? I have always been concerned about this as hypothermia would be a concern for even the best of swimmers. You may also be loaded down with gear or waders that would fill with water when this happens unexpectedly. I only know of a couple of stories like this and the individuals were in deep water but close to shore and survived, but lost expensive equipment. One ran into a tree branch just below the surface that had a lure with trebles inbedded, causing a big tear in one pontoon which left only one intact and the other barely buoyant for a brief time. The other had a weld failure on a very thin tubing frame and seat area went down, though both pontoons remained inflated.

My own solution is to stay no more than 10 minutes of swimming time from the shore line in very cold water. I do not wear waders for that reason. I also pack closed polycell foam (camping mattress foam) in as many sheets or "noodles" under and around the seat as possible prior to going out in cold water. This should help keep the platform level if you have to stay with whatever remains floating and in recovering back at least some of your gear. That's also another reason I like the quad tube pontoon unit on large lakes.

Pon
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I have been tubing and tooning for over 50 years. The only "mishaps" I have experienced...or witnessed...have been minor leaks from fish spines or hooks. Oh yeah, I did hear first hand about a doofus that filleted his tube with a knife, trying to cut bait, using the top surface of his air chamber.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]We can play "What if?" all day long, covering every potential problem we might ever have. The best policy is to use common sense, buy good equipment, and pay attention to what you are doing. That cuts way down on the disasters. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]But, "accidents", by definition, are things we had not anticipated and can happen through no fault of our own. So, it is good to have an emergency backup plan in place...just in case.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The good news, for most of us, is that the best fishing is usually close enough to shore that we shouldn't be too far from safety if we do experience a sudden loss of air. But, not always. That's why a PFD and added floatation is a good idea. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]And, if you should unexpectedly have to make a decision as to whether to abandon your tube, toon or gear...or to stay with it...save yourself first. Your family and friends will appreciate it and you can always replace the equipment. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]On the positive side, even a drastic deflation will seldom send your craft to the bottom...unless you have a heavy battery strapped to it. There will always be some air trapped in the air chamber somewhere, that will keep things afloat. Probably even enough to float the angler too, until help can arrive. If not...accept the inevitable. It was your time and you just happened to be doing what you like best when it your number came up.[/#0000ff]
[signature]

My own solution is to stay no more than 10 minutes of swimming time from the shore line in very cold water. I do not wear waders for that reason.

Despite the age-old and ongoing belief that waders increase the risk of drowning, it's not appreciatively more difficult to swim while wearing them than it is to swim in regular clothes.

Furthermore, the notion that trapped air can elevate your feet and force your head underwater appears to have little basis in fact. As long as 60 years ago, legendary fly-fishing pioneer Lee Wulff set out to debunk the air pocket theory by jumping off a bridge in February in a full set of waders. His feet did not become unduly elevated. Nor did the waders act as a drift sock, washing him helplessly and uncontrollably downriver. He simply swam to shore, climbed out and, presumably, changed into a dry set of clothes.
[signature]
All good suggestions. I would say wear a PFD, fish with a buddy, and enjoy the fishing. You have a greater chance dying in a car crash than from a failure on a pontoon.
[signature]