Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Abaco Beach Resort Family Tournament Results
[font "Calibri"] The Abaco Beach Resort and Boat Harbor in Marsh Harbour held its Inaugural Family Wahoo Championship this weekend and what an exciting event it turned out to be. The weather was a little questionable at first, but it turned out great and the seas were flat. [/font]
[font "Calibri"] I was fortunate enough to have one of the event sponsors on board with me. Herb Jarrett of Treasure Coast Propellers in Stuart, flew in the day before the tournament and we began hashing out our strategy for the next day. Herb has caught hundreds of Sailfish and White Marlin in many tournaments over the years, but has never caught a Blue Marlin. While the Marlin season is a little early, we decided we would place more emphasis on the Blues, than the Wahoo.[/font]
[font "Calibri"] The day was long with only a small dolphin deciding to play with us. He ate the biggest lure in the spread and was in the boat in no time. At 3:15, I knew I only had 45 minutes before lines out of the water and made one last strategic decision. We headed a little south, where we got the dolphin in the morning and it paid off.[/font]
[font "Calibri"] A streak of neon blue shot after the right flat like a bolt of lightning and the 80 wide began screaming. There was no doubt about what we just got into. Herb did an awesome job fighting the fish on stand-up tackle and had the blue on the leader in about 40 minutes. Our first mate, Greg Dunley, eased the fish alongside the boat for a couple quick photos and then the 400 lb blue was released clean.[/font]
[font "Calibri"] Anyone that has caught a Blue Marlin can remember how you felt when you caught your very first Blue. As a Captain though, it is just as exciting to guide someone to their first Blue Marlin. Herb and I were equally happy when he got to raise his upside down Marlin flag on the rigger.[/font]
[font "Calibri"] Back at The Abaco Beach Resort, Herb went for the customary dunking off the dock along with Tim Barefoot, who also managed to catch his first Blue Marlin on the “Freedom Fighter”, in the Tournament. While we did not win the tournament, our crew, along with Herb, considered ourselves “Winners !” Congrats Herb !!!!![/font]
[font "Calibri"] The “Freedom Fighter” went on to win the tournament with an assortment of Tuna, Dolphin and a Marlin. You guys did an awesome job and my hat is off to you all. Good Job!.[/font]
[font "Calibri"] I am already looking forward to next year’s Tournament. Thank you to all the sponsors who stood by in this tough economy. We really appreciate your support.[/font]
[font "Calibri"] Tight Lines !!![/font]
[signature]