Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bow River advice, Please?
I have the opportunity to fly fish the Bow River up in Alberta, Canada this summer. I have read alot of information about the river, but have any of you had the opportunity to fish this river? Any advice on how I can make the most of this experience? Thanks!!
[signature]
I fished it about 6 times in the late 90's on my way home from the Northwest Territories. I floated with a couple of different guides out of a Calgary fly shop, and it was awesome. Very nice browns, plenty of them, bigger water, no crowds (September for me), and decent caddis hatches. We always floated below town. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

To make the most of it, fish with a local, at least the first day or two. Talk to them about access for fishing on your own.
[signature]
Tarponjim:

I appreciate the feedback. We will actually be staying in Canmore. I have not decided whether or not I want to use a guide. Not sure if I want to spend the money. I was actually just planning to hit the river on my own. I know I can catch fish. I just don't know what public access to the river is like. Is it hard to get on without being guided? Is there anywhere I can find access maps on the internet? I may just have to wait and talk to the local fly shops when I get there.

What flies did you have the most success with? I may have a whole different monster in June when I go. Not even sure how fishable the river will be. Could still be high from run off. Did you fish any other rivers around there?
[signature]
The access we used with the guide was private, so not sure what's public. All I fished was an elk hair caddis, and some giant chernobl ant/hopper things. I have fished the Elk and some of the other smaller rivers southwest of Calgary in the foothills, but only once here and there. They were fun for cutts, and loaded with fish when I was there. I imagine the Bow will be very high during June. Peak runoff.
[signature]
That is my biggest fear. I only hope the water has started receding by the time I am there. Our trip is planned for the end of the month of June, and from what i have read, that is wen the water starts to come down. I truly hope that this is the case. The information that I have read stated that as soon as the water starts coming down, and visibility gets to about 18", the river is ready to go and can be very good. I think I will be a little early for much dry fly action, but I fish nymphs most of the time anyway, unless there is a major hatch going on.
[signature]
If the main Bow is too high, I'd work your way up river, maybe up into the park, or to other nearby drainages. There should be some fishable water around that area by the end of June. All the various shops I visited up there were very helpful. The Canadian Rockies are a sight to behold, and filled with flowing waters full of trout. I've only lightly sampled a few. I wish I could take a whole summer off and just bum from water to water north of the border!

Maybe next year.[laugh]
[signature]
That's a great idea. I appreciate the help. I look forward to the trip, as this is my first ever visit up north. I hope to make it a good one.
[signature]
Ive heard from numerous people that the dirty san Juan worm is day in-day out the go to fly over there......
[signature]
I have heard that as well. I will be sure to have a hefty supply of them tied up. Thanks for the tip!!
[signature]