Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fishing Astro/Lunar Tables (Best Times To Fish?
Just wondering how many of you follow these fishing and hunting tables. Do you think they really work? How many of you base your fishing trips on these things? I would think that fly fishing would be more of a skillfull thing so it wouldn't really matter to follow these tables anyways.Thanks for any input[Smile]
[signature]
I've never really understood the tables, but I do like to know how the fishing will be, according to them. I have had a number of fishing trips that seem to have followed the tables very closely.

However, as a fly fisherman of about 15 years, I have also come to the conclusion that there are always fish eating. It's just a matter of figuring it out. Trying to find something that works. This is one of the challenges that I look forward to as a fly fisherman who grew up throwing spinners. As a spin fisherman, if fish aren't taking them, you're in for a long day. As a fly fisherman, you have many options to chose from. Don't get me wrong, I've had slower days, but I think those days could be caused by any number of reasons. Not just the moon. Water clarity, water heights, pressure, etc.

So, do I pay attention to the tables, YES! Do I plan my next trip to Montana around what they say, NO WAY! And I've never been disappointed. Not fly fishing at least. But that's just me.
[signature]
Thanks for your input. So if I get what your saying, you like to know what your odds are but wouldn't bet the trip to Montana on it? I get it. When would be a good time say between now and before the deer hunt in Oct. to take a trip to Montana. I've been wanting to drive up with the boys and try some fly fishing there. Back to the subject of this thread...I looked at the tables for today and it was not supposed to be a very good day. But, I hooked about 10 fish between 3pm to 8pm. I think my skills matching the hatch was good, just not my setting the hook skills. They all jumped or rolled off the hook before I could net them!
[signature]
That proved my point. According to my lunar calendar, yesterday was not suppose to be very good. However, I went up on the Wever river after work yesterday and fished from about 4:00 to 8:00 and caught 12 fish, one of which was a nice 18" brown that I weighed just over 2 pounds. Who knows, maybe if it would ahve been a day that the tables said it was suppose to be great, I would ahve caught 20 fish. My point is, regardless of what it says, I have always beleived that a good fly fisherman can catch fish any day and under any conditions. Fish HAVE to eat. It could be slower, but if you figure it out, you should still be able to catch fish.

Like you understood, I like to look at the tables, but if I was planning a trip, anywhere, I would be on the river, regardless of what the tables said. I look at water flow (cfs) more than I look at the lunar tables. That seems to play more of a role in how the fishing is than anything else.

Most of the rivers in Montana do not open until the 3rd weekend in May. June has always been a great time for me to go up. However, look at the water flows before you plan a trip in June. If warm weather hits early in the spring, like this year, the rivers will be high. Many of them get quite dirty during this time. My dad was up there this past weekend visiting my sister in Bozeman and said that the Madison was already running high and the Beaverhead was also high and muddy. July is probably the safest time. By then, the water has usually come down in most of the rivers. By August the water is down, sometimes way down, and you start fighting major moss growth.

The weekend of the 4th of July is probably the best times we have gone. However, during that time you have a few more people to deal with.

Good luck to you.
[signature]
It has been my experience that the bigger fish are more affected by the lunar conditions. I caught 2 Tiger Musky at pineview, same day, 48" and 41" full moon.

I try and hunt the big ones 3days before to 3 days after full and new moon.
[signature]
Different species- different effects--------- lakes certainly are affected more than rivers
[signature]
Solunar Tables: Complete and utter BUNK. Sales gimmick. Just like the little barometers they sell that say "poor, fair, and good" based on the pressure. Right![laugh]

Believe me, if anyone on the planet knew exactly when fish would bite, there are thousands of commercial fishermen that would pay millions and millions of dollars for the answer. Just like if someone could tell you what the weather would be next week. If I could do either, I'd own the entire chain of the Florida Keys![Wink] So would anyone else.

If it were only that easy. But, have your fun. Lots of other people do.
[signature]