Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
lower provo help
ok on sunday im goin to hit the lower provo. i saw ppl fishing it last saturday and i was wondering how everyone is doin and what there htting on. im goin just below the deer creek dam (heard theres some monsters there that i hope to get)this is my first time there. thanks for any info.
[signature]
I have not fished the lower Provo this year. I haven't had the desire to fight the crowds. However, If you are a nymph fisherman, the best fly to use on the lower Provo, hands down, is a grey scud or grey sow bug.

Good luck!!
[signature]
what about a rainbow scud? i used that on the weber and did great with it.i rig it up with the sow first then about 8 to 12 inches behind is the scud. i got 3 to 1 on the rainbow over the tan
[signature]
Of course the rainbow scud, but that is still semi secret. Didn't really want to go there. Definately an awesome fly!
[signature]
Lately I have have done MUCH better on baetis nymphs and midge pupa than on sow bugs. I have been down there numerous times lately. (on that exact stretch)
[signature]
Most people who are in the know won't say because the river is crowded as it is...but the Blue Wing Olive hatch is going on like never before and that is the only way to catch them in the afternoon. I found the blue dun patterns the best sizing from 18 to 22 depending on whats coming down the river. I've also caught a few with a trailing midge, hope that helps.
[signature]
If I am fishing the LP and plan to fish underneath, my first set up will always be a sow trailed by an olive or brown WD-40. The olive WD-40 does a decent job of imitating both midges and the BWO nymphs this time of year.

I would DEFINITELY have some BWO's. Another really good imitation of the BWO nymph is the Barr's emerger. I love that one on the Green this time of year, and anything that is working on the Green right now will also work on the LP.

One last thing, DO NOT neglect streamer patterns. Those browns like to eat meat if given the opportunity. Good luck, I'd get there early! Crowds will be out this weekend for the good weather in droves!
[signature]