Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NEW ROD!!!
Well as some of you know, I have been looking for a new rod/reel for about the past month. well a few weeks ago, my gf and her dad bought me one for my college graduation. I just got it yesterday, and can't wait to use it. It's a Scott A3905 5 wt 4 pc. Ineed to just get a new reel now and I will be ready to go. I am very excited to use it. By the way, my old rod was an 8 ft. what can I expect switcing to a 9 ft rod?
[signature]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif]Hi there SdDryFly and good catching with your new swatter. Not a cheap one by any means. I find that a longer rod is easier to cast, at least that has been my experience. Plus if you do any tubing you'll find that a longer rod has an advantage over a shorter rod.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
MAJOR SCORE!!!! Nice, I love Scott. First off, the rod should feel lighter than heck. I don't think that the length is going to be that hard to adjust to.
Dry rod is right about the tube thing, but 9' is just a great all around length.
Even on small creeks, it can be adapt.
My only suggestion is to get a GOOD line. The reel isn't as important specially for trout. There are a bunch of good choices for reels out there. Try to find one, that its weight compliments the rods weight (just don't forget that the balancing point changes with line).
Congrats.......
[signature]
Listen to the Fly Goddess! The reel is all but unimportant, even for most non-trout fishes. Get the best line you can to go with the rod.

I don't think you'll notice any significant difference based on the length of the new rod. However, there might be a difference based on the number of ferrules.

In theory, each "break" in the rod creates a flat spot. The reality is that with modern ferrule design it's usually not noticable. But you might have to adjust your timing slightly.

Won't be a big deal. After a few minutes casting you won't even notice that you're doing it.

Enjoy the new rod.

Brook
[signature]
[center][Image: happy.gif][#008100]For the most part a reel is just a storage location for your line. I know of some people that spent big bucks on a rod then went el cheapo on the line. I would rather have an inexpensive rod and an expensive line. Actually that was my first setup. Today after 20 years I practice with that same rod and line in my back yard. Must be a lesson hidden somewhere here.[/#008100]
[center][#008100][/#008100]
[center]
[signature]
[quote Dryrod][center][.img]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/images/gforum/happy.gif[/img][#008100]For the most part a reel is just a storage location for your line. I know of some people that spent big bucks on a rod then went el cheapo on the line. I would rather have an inexpensive rod and an expensive line. Actually that was my first setup. Today after 20 years I practice with that same rod and line in my back yard. Must be a lesson hidden somewhere here.[/#008100]
[center][#008100][/#008100]
[center][/quote]

lesson is get out more and practice or fish more you need to wear out that line quicker than 20 yrs.[Wink]
[signature]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif]I only use that 20 year old rod & line for practice. Why take a chance on ruining a $50-60 line.[/size][/#008000][/font] [font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]BTW I thought that I mentioned that point?[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
OOHH, practice only, I thought for a second you reference to a lesson being there was that you might be a slow learner[Smile]
[signature]
hehehe I am the slow learner.. otherwise Id be out fishing more.. :-)

MacFly
[signature]
[center][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif]Yes I was referring to a lesson to be learned. But the subject got side tracked. BTW with a torn right rotator cuff, excersising the shoulder helps to strengthen the muscles surrounding the cuff. [/size][/#008000][/font]
I injured my rotator cuff on the first day of a three day float down the Gunnison Gorge a few years back. I did not know that it was the rotator cuff. I thought it was just sore muscles. All that casting did not improve the situation I am sure. It took me three years to get it back in shape. I kept doing 12 oz lifts but it was slow going.
It took some work to get the full range of motion back. Work hard at it DryRod.
[signature]
Not sure Poky's meaning but I think he was referring to line still being around after 20 years[laugh]
Mine goes by the waste side in less than 10 years.
[signature]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif]I hear what you are saying Scruffy_Fly. Several years ago I torn the left rotor cuff. Didn't want to do the surgery scene so I opted for therapy instead. It took a while but now it feels great.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
I like your 12 oz curl idea.. LOL..

MacFly
[signature]
[quote Brook]Listen to the Fly Goddess! The reel is all but unimportant, even for most non-trout fishes. Get the best line you can to go with the rod.

I don't think you'll notice any significant difference based on the length of the new rod. However, there might be a difference based on the number of ferrules.

In theory, each "break" in the rod creates a flat spot. The reality is that with modern ferrule design it's usually not noticable. But you might have to adjust your timing slightly.

Won't be a big deal. After a few minutes casting you won't even notice that you're doing it.

Enjoy the new rod.

Brook[/quote]

May have been the case 10-15 years ago but not anymore. Most rods from quality manufacturers will be unnoticeable between the 2 piece and the 4 piece. I havent thrown the A3 yet but have an A2 and compared the 2 and 4 piece head to head before I ordered it and no difference. I agree with ya 100% about the reel and the line...
[signature]
There has been talk on rod pieces on every forum out there. The big thing seems to be # of pieces. It is said that ODD number of pieces are better because of the HARMONICS or something like that. I think it is the GUIDE placement. they will definitely be in different spots on say a 3, 5, or 7 piece rod than on a 2, 4, or 8.
The ideal rod would still be a one piece but dang, could be a bit hard to transport...LOL
[signature]
One piece rods would also seem to be more prone to tip breakage due to difficulty in manuevering them in houses through doors, around ceiling fans, car doors and trunk lids.

They also would be more expensive to ship for repairs.
[signature]
...and dont forget trees, bushes, etc once you are on the water..

MacFly
[signature]
You got me Confused on that one Mac.

Why should the number of rod pieces matter in those conditions?
[signature]
[Image: dumb.gif][#008000]Maybe he is referring to the Okefenokee Swamp. Nothing but trees, bushes, gators and whatever.lol[/#008000]
[signature]