Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question from a beginner
Ive been slowly giving up my spinners for the flys over the last year. Im planning on a trip next week with some friends to a deeper lake.
Im thinking I might need to get my line down deeper than I usually go.....maybe 20' max.
Any suggestions on a setup that would get me that deep for woolybuggers and other imitations. I have a floating line and a intermediate 1.25 ips set up at the moment.
I feel like I make this a lot harder than it has to be lol.
[signature]
A fast sinking line would be the best way. Or a fast sink tip line with a real long leader and weighted fly will get you to 20 feet deep semi-effectively.

You can always just wait after casting and let your intermediate sink line get down deeper, although I've found you don't get a real natural action by doing that. Those lines weren't made for that purpose.

Where you fishing? Just because a lake is "deeper" doesn't mean you have to fish deeper. This time of year the fish are in the shallows. Might not need to get that deep after all.
[signature]
They are heading south Ill have to ask them the name of the reservoir again. I want to say its near Huntington.......Ill have to call him later and ask again.
All my friends like to sleep on the beach/chair and drown a worm so they are not much of a source for info.
I think Im just stuck in the thought that I have to be deeper because Im not used to fishing a bigger lake with streamers and such. Also, only being in a tube for a handfull of times I feel like I need to be deep and as far from the tube as possible.
I noticed on another thread someone recommended a streamer vid from netflix so I added that to my next delivery.
[signature]
Never fished Huntington myself. But generally speaking the fish are in the shallows this time of year. Fish with your intermediate sink line, cast to the shore and retrieve back out to you with slow (and once you think you're slow enough, slow down some more) retrieves. Right at ice off slow is better than fast for your retrieves.

Try to focus on bays where fish might be more concentrated (again, general advice...as I've never fished Huntington) and you should be fine with all types of streamer patterns.
[signature]
Thank you for the insight.

So the plan is to go to Joes Valley, Millsite, and maybe Huntington north. I guess there are also some streams/rivers around that area.
Ive been reading a lot on flies/nymphs and what the different patterns/techniques are. I believe that I will stick with streamers and such on the lakes. I also have some coppers, hares ears, pheasant tails, and prince nymphs.
What are your thoughts on trying some smaller chironomids on a slow ascent this time of year?
[signature]
you be fishing from shore, or a boat\tube\pontoon? At Joe's Valley, the splake should be moving up in the shallows chasing forage fish. Wait until evening, or sundown, and start casting your buggers with a floating line, then stripping back to you. If fishing from shore, use your chest waders to get out into the water a little ways, the cast in all directions around yourself.

if you really need to get deep, think about adding some tungsten cones or some 7/32 dumbells to your buggers. They'll sink.
[signature]
Ill take a tube up with me and probably stay near the main inlets.

Thank you for the advice.
[signature]
I don't know what time of year, but what about ANTS and Renagades. I always do great on those in the Uintas, plus Royal Wulffs and Humpys. Just a little dry fly fun which is the best to me. Plus red butt Yellow Sallys.
[signature]
Ill get a few of what you mentioned.

I still have some ants from last year when I hit boulder. I also have a few eh caddis, and attractor patterns like the royals and humpy's . I have a bunch of others but what they are called I have no idea [Smile].
Im getting pretty excited to leave and get out whipping my flies off. Making it reeeeaaallllyy hard to study for finals. I keep looking up fly fishing websites lol.
[signature]