Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to rig minnows for brown trout?
I'm a bass fisherman new to trout fishing. Looking to fish for bronw trout using minnows (shiners) below a large dam, slipping the current in a boat. Would be using spinning tackle. How would I rig this? Thanks.
id proboly run it under a float.to many rocks they can get under..
[signature]
Live or dead? Also how is the current?
[signature]
The current is pretty strong, rocky, depth 8-12 feet, live shiners. Have never fished this way, figured I'd use a three-way rig and adjust the weight of the sinker until it felt right. Lots of rainbow and brown trout, about 100-200 feet below a large dam on the Connecticut River in NH.
I would rig a slide bobber about anywhere from 10-6 feet dependin on the depth i like to bounce the bottom personally but it takes years of practice to keep it out from under the rocks. but if you just keep it right above the bottom that is where you should have the best luck gettin those bigs one to come out of the holes. i have noticed that the close you get to dark the more active the bigger browns get. as far as riggin the shiner if its alive i would use a fairly decsent sized hook. you should be catchin bigger fish. should bein the key word, it also depends on what the water is doin and if there is a hatch. if there is a good bug hatch goin on sometimes you cant get those fish to look at anythin other then a fly. but i would put the hook threw the bottome lip, in the tail or right under the dorsal fin. keep in mind that browns will hit the bait head first most of the time. this is to avoid the fins from gettin caught in the throat on the way down. so that is the best i can give you. also try usin a CD7,9 or 11 rapala in black and silver, orange and black, blue and white, this flamer lookin one.(its really bright you'll know it as soon as you see it.) rainbow, brown basically anythin that will imatae natural colors. there is a number of different things that you could try. there is also another way to rig minnows. that is you thread them on your line then tie on a treble hook under it. make sure to check your local laws about usin live shiners. some places its illegal if they are still alive such as here in idaho. so be sure don't need no tickets. well hope this helps and good luck.
[signature]