Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weber...
Hit the weber on sunday between wanship and coalville for the first time with a fly rod i had once fished it with a spinning rod. The weather was on and off rain but never got to bad. The water was tough to wade in, in a few places and i actually went down a few times. The fishing was sloooooow for me i couldnt catch a fish to save my life. I had a couple strikes an kept missing. My cousin caught 1 decent rainbow and long distanced released a whitefish and brown all on a rubberleg with a scud dropper. Does anyone have an advice on what works up there and some spots to try??
[signature]
[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/Utah_Fishing_Forum_C55/Utah_Fly_Fishing_F140/gforum.cgi?post=497589;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;page=unread#unread"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/Utah_Fishing_Forum_C55/Utah_Fly_Fishing_F140/gforum.cgi?post=497589;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;page=unread#unread[/url]
[signature]
where u closer to coalville and echo because i have fished wanship and never got a rainbow and everyone else i know or asked never has. u might want to try a rainbow scud. with the run off goin on u need to pin point slow moving water spots thats where they r goin to be untill the run off is done. also try a hairears or a bhprince.
[signature]
Yes, There rainbows in there Ive caught a few this year there's also Tigers and an occasional Bass
[signature]
First of all there is a fair number of rainbows in there, especially in the first mile above echo. I have also seen a fair number of cutts caught through there as well.

And currently the guage is showing 200 cfs dam release. Unless the reservoir is spilling a sh*tload of water then 200 is a perfect flow for that river. Runoff hasn't even started yet. At peak flows with the river spilling, it is not uncommon to see flows from 1,200 to 1,400 cfs on a high water year like this one.
[signature]
yeah i was pretty much right out of wanship and i was using rainbow scuds but im a rookie when it comes to that river i normally fish at my property on the provo
[signature]
Would be hard pressed to say that runoff has not started. At the bottom of the canyon the river is full, it could not handle very much more flow.
[signature]
I looked at some of the data for last year and it definitely has just barely started. Currently the weber in wanship is 200 cfs, last year it peaked at 1,040 cfs. Quite a significant change. The Weber out of echo last year peaked at 1,300 cfs, currently running at 460 cfs. Runoff is just starting and there is a long way to go.

BTW I was on the Lower Provo today and it was ripping, just a hair under 1,000 cfs. It is tough to get around but places that you can get to are fishing well. THe clarity is still very good.
[signature]