Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
weber
i hit up the weber on thursday (i know kinda late but better late then never). i got there at 2. got a late start thanks to wife. i went to coalville at the campground. thats the only place i know how to get to in that area. i was using a san juan warm and a green cooper john. i was there for about an hr with nothing. as i was walking down i came up on a school of fish that i thought was white fish but turned out to be carp. i hooked up with one but my 4x was no match. 2 strong yanks and gone along with my last red san juan. i put a pink one one to replace it. about 15 mins later i hooked up with a whitie. 5 min later landed. he took the san jaun. about 5 cast later i was on again with another whitie. they were about 14 inchs. after that nothing. there were some kids tubing there too. so i was there for about 2 1/2 hrs and went to wanship. i got to the spot i usually fish and 5 cast in i hooked up but it came off. i started farther down and i nice brown swallowed my strike indicater. i started laughing as i went to set the hook as if it had a hook. i was there for another 2 hrs with nothing. i tried all kinds of different flies with no luck. i saw some risers but couldnt match what they were taking. oh well at least i wasnt skunked. but i did lose a box of flies though. well i will be bak there soon. but with revenge with hoopers in a few weeks.
[signature]
I went to the middle weber on Thursday also. I did really good on Tuesday, but the water had come up about 2 feet and alot of crap was floating down. The water was more discolored and the holes that were really fishable on Tuesday became rapids on Thursday. I started at about 1 PM and fished up from the bridge by the spring chicken and below the bridge. They were taking san juans (red only) and some golden and black stones again on Thursday. I landed 4 fish all whities, and had a total of 9 on. The other 5 were all bows and browns, fought for a while, but got off. Seemed like they weren't feeding as much to me. Had to throw a bunch of #1 sinkers on just to get the flies down to the fish. It took 6 #1's before the nymphs would get down to the fish.
[signature]
Sounds like y'all just missed it by one day. I fished the Weber on Friday. I didn't get there until 6 PM, but it started hot and stayed hot until I quit at 9 or so. I caught a little bit of everything. I got 2 bows, 1 cut and 5 browns. The biggest catch of the day was the cut that went 19 in., 2 of the browns were 18 in., then a bunch of 14 and 15 inchers. I've been banned by the wife from taking another camera fishing, so I tried to get some pics w/my camera phone, but they didn't turn out. Anyway I started with just a tan caddis and when that slowed down, I dropped a BWO emerger about 18" below that. Both flies were producing for me.
[signature]
Thanks for the reports. I thought I'd add one from a different section of the Weber. My 10 year old son and I hit the Weber late Saturday afternoon in Peterson. After we walked about a mile up the railroad tracks to get past the hoard of people fishing around the bridge, we jumped in the river and had a great time. I was flying it and my son was using spinners. This was only his second outing on the rivers with his dad. He caught 2 fish and lost about 4 others. Since I was using this trip as a teaching opportunity for him, I didn't hit it as hard as I normally would. However, I still ended up catching 8 fish and losing about 4 others. Between the 2 of us, we caught 4 browns, 3 cuts, and 3 whities. I caught the biggest fish (19", 2 1/2 lbs, brown) on a #18 Grey scud.

We had a great time! My son had a blast. I look forward to many, many trips with my boys in the future as they get older. My next goal is to get them on a fly rod.
[signature]
Man I love the Weber! Some of my favorite memories as a teenager were heading up to Coalville with my buddies to slay some big browns.

When I went back home (to Utah) a couple weeks ago, I went and hit the good old Peterson/Stoddard exit section. I was dissappointed as the water appeared low and warm? I couldn't even spook out a fish, except for a carp or two. I used to love that section, and have caught so many nice fish there in the past. I was glad to hear that somebody is still catching some fish there. That gives me some hope.

-Rich
[signature]
Yeah, they do drop that section pretty low during the summer these days. They pull it all out in that canal up towards the Stoddard bridge. However, when it's low, you just focus on the bigger holes. There are still some pretty nice fish through that section. Last year I caught a 24" brown up in there when the water was pretty low.
[signature]