Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brown Trout Spawn
Let me first be clear that I am not planning on disturbing redds, but my best day fishing ever in Pennsylvania was around the time of the brown trout spawn. My question is what time of year does that typically happen on most Utah streams? When do egg patterns become like candy to big bruisers?

The reason I am asking is because my best friend is planning on flying all the way from Pennsylvania to fish Utah. I want to show him the best trip of his life. We still haven't decided exactly when the trip will be but will probably be some week in October. Any suggestions? I already have some great places in mind - but am looking for specific places and/or specific times to consider. THANKS!
[signature]
Josh,
I've had the best luck the first week of November overall. Of coarse that late the days are shorter and colder and snow isn't out of the question. See what others say but I'd say wait until mid- October at least.
[signature]
I agree with Riverdog. I have caught some NICE brown the first week of November.
[signature]
My experience deals mostly with the Provo and the Green, but I tend to see the browns starting to stage in early October, and the spawn begins in November. The fish will spawn all the way through November. I actually fished the Green the first week of December one year, and there were still a fair amount of fish on redds.

Just so you know what you can get into....

[Image: spawnhog1.jpg]

Two years later, in almost the exact same location

[Image: S4010975.jpg]
[signature]
Very nice and thanks! I have had my best fishing trips on thanksgiving weekend and HUGE browns, in Idaho.
[signature]
[quote shadowcaster]Let me first be clear that I am not planning on disturbing redds, but my best day fishing ever in Pennsylvania was around the time of the brown trout spawn. My question is what time of year does that typically happen on most Utah streams? When do egg patterns become like candy to big bruisers? THANKS![/quote]

Shadowcaster-
Try the browns when they load up below Deer Creek on the Provo. AWESOME!!! Depending on when you are planning on hitting it in Oct. they could be there. Later the better. November is great!
I've also killed the browns on the Ogden River during their spawn, but it seems to be a little later. Good luck!

-Rich
[signature]