Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Float tube jigging!
Let me start out by saying that I'm new, this year, to float tubing, and I would like to get some advice on jigging from my tube. My jigging experience on open water has been limited to a little bit of fishing with curly tail grubs for warm water species, but mostly my experience comes from ice fishing. I fish for both cold and warm water species throughout the year and I would like start doing more open water jigging on the local waters. I was hoping some of the people who jig from their tube would offer up some techniques that they use for the different types fishes...things like the type of jigs, baits they add (if any), and basic methods. I know this jigging stuff works great in the winter, but I haven't tried it much in the summer, and since the fish are probably a bit deeper this time of year, I've been thinking it has to be a good way to target them.
[signature]
[cool]Hey, JH, trying ta start a little thread here is ya? I'm sure you'll get some input from others, but I'll start it off.

First of all, fishing jigs from boat, bank or tube can all have some similarities. Learning to fish jigs effectively, from any casting platform, can be a lifetime pursuit. And, a fun one at that.

The good news is that float tubes and toons provide some unique advantages to fishing jigs certain ways that are hard to duplicate either from the bank or from a boat. Most notably, it is quieter and easier to fish jigs in a vertical presentation from your donut dinghy than from a boat...and it's hands free...with no trolling motor to fight in the wind.

If you like fishing jigs through the ice, you will feel right at home dropping them down to fish below your tube. Many of the same jigs and the same techniques apply to vertical jigging from a flotation craft. The big difference is that you don't have to work up a sweat grinding a hole in the water before you can fish, when you are in your tube.

Having a sonar is really a big help for the vertical presentation fans when fishing from a tube. Just as with ice fishing, you can't catch them where they ain't. But, once you find a hump or other structure that holds fish, you can stay on top of them and work them over.

I probably fish jigs vertically from my craft at least twice as much as I do casting...with jigs or any other kinds of lures. It is especially effective when the fish are in a neutral or negative mode, and you need to shake it right in front of their noses. Your experience in feeling the subtle taps of winter fish, beneath the ice, will help you be a better jigger from the tube.

Another great way to take advantage of the floatation fishing system is slowly bottom bouncing a jig as you move backwards over the fish holding area. You can drag the jig, lift and drop it or give it a little "shivver lift" once in a while. Don't drag it with too much line out, or you will get more snags. Just toss the jig out about twice the depth of the water, let it sink to the bottom and then keep it touching bottom at a steep angle on your line, as you try different movements on the jig. Once you find a pattern, stick with it.

You can drag all kinds of jigs...from plastic worms, jig and pig, twisters on a head, tube jigs, marabou, bait bugs...whatever. Most will work in the right places.

If the fish are not taking the horizontal presentation...of the slow troll and drag...go to a "dropchot" rig. Put a sinker on the bottom and an unweighted plastic worm or grub up from 18" to 3" or more off the bottom. Keeping the sinker resting more or less on the bottom, straight down or off at an angle, just wiggle the rod tip and then let it sit motionless. This rig is great when cast into the shore and slowly bounced and shivvered down the incline into deeper water.

Advanced jig fishing includes "flipping and pitching". However, these are more effective from the higher platform of a boat. But, there are times when being down closer to the water can enable you to make a "sling shot" or "bow and arrow" cast up under docks or shoreside cover.

Another favorite way I fish jigs from a float tube is "dipsticking". I have a couple of long (10' - 12') rods that I use to "reach out and touch" fish hanging next to cover or back in pockets in the weeds. You can sneak up close in your tube, without disturbing the fish, and then just quietly drop the jig into their living room. Wiggle it a little and hang on. This works well for crappie and sunfish, but can produce some nice bass and big cats too.

That's a little bit to get things started. Anyone else have any favorite ways to fish jigs from your inflated cruisers?

[signature]
[reply]
"The big difference is that you don't have to work up a sweat grinding a hole in the water before you can fish, when you are in your tube."
[/reply]

I think if I was in that Arizona sun, I'd find a way to work up a sweat anyhow!

Thanks for the tips. I realize that nothing is a substitute for experience, but it nice to be pointed in the right direction. I've fished mister twisters for sauger and walleye in Montana, but that was fairly random fishing with moderate success. I've caught a bunch of wipers at Willard using the same methods, and although I'd like to say I new what I was doing, it as been more of a right place right time kinda thing.

This year I had excellent success ice fishing, and I've been aching to try out some open water vertical fishing. I guess I haven't caught enough fish from my tube to be overly confident that there could possibly be fish directly beneath me. I'm sure sonar would erase all doubt, and believe you me that a fish finder is right at the top of my wish list.

I love fishing and I'm very objective when it comes to trying out new things. I lived in Holland for a few years, and I've seen some wacky techniques employed.

Thanks again. I'm always anxious to start applying the things I learn here, and believe me, the people of this board sure can make your head spin with all the new things to try.

Justin
[signature]
The craziest thing about a float tube is that unless you actually hit the fish in the head with your fins, they don't get too spooked by tubes. I grew up flyfishing out my tube (can't help much with the jigging, I'm still learning how) and I would frequently hook into fish within 10-15 foot of my tube. I don't think the tube scares the fish too much.

Now that I am fishing out of a pontoon, I'm wondering if the higher profile will be a disSadvantage as far as spooking fish. I guess i'll just have to go out and do some on the water research!

Best of luck and I might see you on the water sometime! My favorite haunts of late is Lindon BH @ Utah Lake and the Provo River as it slows down and moves into the lake.

ES
[signature]