Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need info. on High Uintahs - Artic Grayling & Brookies
[font "verdana, arial, helvetica"][size 2]Ok folks, here's my request,[/size][/font]

[font "verdana, arial, helvetica"][size 2]Moose - you might want to track this post since if I remember you were asking about this!
I have an opportunity to do a pack in trip for a 3-4 days with a couple of folks with lamas. My first thought was to go into some lakes with Artic Grayling or big Brookies. Don't know anything about Brookies but about 15 or more years ago (I was a lot younger) I hiked into the "Four Lakes" area and caught a bunch. If I remember correctly they included Dale and Daynes Lake. I've also heard that Round, Sand and Fish Lake have Artic Grayling. Are they still there? Any recommendations for the Grayling? What about Brookies. Any suggestiones would be much appreciated.
[Tongue][Smile]Leaky[/size][/font]
Leaky,

For South Slope info on grayling and brooky lakes contact Kirk Mullins (High Lakes Biologist, DWR-NER) at (435) 781-9453. There is a lot less pressure on the South Slope.

Good Fishing, Kayote
[signature]
leaky,

I really envy you for the opportuntiy you have to pack into the Uintas. I have backpacked in many times. The Uintas are awesome. The scenery is incredible and the fishing is always great in the backcountry if you know what to do. Lately I haven't had time to fish at all, so I am especially jealous. Make the most of your trip and enjoy your outing to the max. And let us know how it goes, okay?

I consider fishing the Uintas to be a specialty of mine. I have fished there all my life and I do quite well. I just anwsered a post titled 'brookies' and explained my best techniques. Most of the lakes in the Uintas hold brookies, while several have cutts. Grayling exist in a few lakes here and there.

For grayling I've always done best with a fly and bubble. The best flies seem to be small, light colored flies, like mosquites in size 16 or so. In a lot of the lakes in the Uintas, the grayling are small because they tend to over populate and stunt. But once you are into them the action is non-stop.

Where to find grayling depends on where in the Uintas you are. Where will you be going?

m
[signature]
Leaky,

I envy you, I've never in 23 years in Utah been able to pack into the back country of the Uintahs. I hope this is a memorable trip for you. I am a regular in the Uintahs, but spend the majority of my time fishing the Upper Provo just below Soapstone basin, there are some great holes along the river. I usually have my daughter (fly tying nut) with me and she ends up pulling out the first, last & biggest of the day, but its a hoot to watch her. She is not much for hiking in...its usually...where's the water, pole & fish in that order and lest's not stop until dark....

Good luck on the Greyling hunt and I'll be watching this thread to see who's been into the Greyling and where. Take a cool brew along for the ride.
[signature]
Hey leaky,
When are going on your trip, I'm panning to hit fish, round and sand lakes this saurday so I'll let you know how it goes.
If any one wants to go with me this weekend, just drop me a PM and I'll get back to you.
[Wink]Tincanfsh
[signature]
Thanks guys for the info. so far.

Nothing planned so far as dates or location. First step is to get the dogs introduced to the lamas and make sure there is a mutual understanding. As far as where we are planning to go, it depends on the responses I get and what looks good. The way it looks now it will be late Aug. since I'm planning a snake river small mouth trip. the first week in Aug. I'll be looking for the posts from you guys that go. Best of luck.

[Smile]Leaky
Hi Leaky
I go on a week long hike every two years through the High Uintas. We go fifty miles so the scouts can earn the 50 miler merit badge. Ever time we have gone to the same area. I have hiked to many of the lakes but have only found one that has grayling. The lake was an eight mile hike along the High line trail, starting a mile or so from Mirror lake. It was called Carolyn lake. We caught around 15 grayling's each. They were not very big, but they sure are a pretty fish. The biggest were around 10 inches. I caught them on a mosquito pattern fly. One trip we went to Four lakes basin. The fishing was slow and there were to many people. So I would recommend that you try some other lakes in that same area. There are so many. On all of our trips we started at Mirror lake and finished at Moon lake. We caught some very nice brookies also. The biggest were around 16 inches. The best fly patterns to use were mosquito, adams, renegade, and irresistible. Jakes lures also worked well on some of the deeper lakes. If you p.m. me I can tell you some of the lakes that I liked the most. We have always gone around the end of August, and had a great time. I hope you do to. Wiper24
[signature]
A number of years ago I was at Carolyn and was catching lots of grayling on flies. Suddenly, as I was reeling in a small grayling, I felt a mighty tug. I could not see the fish so I was not sure what I had hooked. Then the tension on the line just felt like a small grayling again. I felt another huge pull. Then the tension was light again. As the fish came in I could see that it was a grayling about 5 or 6 inches long. And then a huge cutt(18-20'', that's a monster in the Uintas) came zooming in and chomped on the grayling and tried to make off with it. When the cutt let go of the grayling again and was out of sight I called a buddy over to see. I gave the grayling some line and let him swim back to deeper water. After a second or two I reeled him toward me again. Sure enough, wham, in comes the big the cutt again and smacks the grayling. This time the cutt saw us and took off for good. This all happened in about 30 seconds. That was something to see. When I finally unhooked the grayling he had deep teeth marks all over him. Needless to say some of the guys switched from small flies to big lures. We didn't catch any big trout though.
[signature]