Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2 Days Visit to Sand Bass City

Southern Cal Saltwater Fishing !!!

The Sand bass yearly migration up the Southern California Coast has been in full swing for the last week. The bass are willing and the boats are going where the fish are hangin' out in big time numbers.

I've spent the last two days solid into the most consistant bite and the largest average of fish I personally have seen coming over a party boats (well, actually twilight boats are pretty consistant with the grumpys too) rail in a few years.

3/4 day boats, in general, are very consistant on limits, Long Beach Sportfishing and Pierpoint Landing are just a couple that come to mind. This has to do with their being around for both the morning and afternoon bite as well as captians skill and luck. On 1/2 day boats you have to gamble on the am or pm for the main bite of the day.

Some guys may not be aware of it but some landings offer the angler a special deal where if you have ridden on an am boat you can 'reride' the pm boat for half-price. I don't know if the pm/twilight works the same way. You'll need to check with your landing to confirm this special deal. It's a case by case deal to due to passenger load, etc.

This bait situation right now is a disaster if you're an angler who has not gotten into fishing plastics. First of all, squid is not presently being offered the 3/4 day sporties that I ride. Second, for the last few days a couple of the bait receivers in San Pedro have had little else to offer other than pinheads and huge sardines! ya I mean small pinheads good for nothing other than chumming and is in this humble anglers opinion lousy chum bait. 1 1/2 to 2 inch pinheads might be great for tuna at times but not barracuda sandies, and calicos.

Saved by the plastics. Many anglers are getting a quick introduction to fishing a leadhead and plastics to put fish in the bag. It's a hit a cast when the bass are up and down the water column.

Lots of barracuda also like the plastics so be sure to get enough for them too ! ha ha

Light (12 test) line and 1/4 to 5/8 oz leadheads did the trick the last few days. For the recent bite, I think the heads that are colored (espeically blue or green), with eyes are getting bites 3 to 1 over the plain up-painted ones no matter what the brand of swimbait. I was very successful with the 4 inch Kalins and Big Hammers to a lesser degree.

If you want to learn to fish plastics on the drop, swimming or bottom jigging, I can think of no better time or a fish species target other than the willing sand bass awaiting your efforts. Go!!!!..... like today.

PS: Bring plastics.

JapanRon
[signature]
wow... on monday we had some horse anchovies these things were like 7 inches long. it was nuts! we got them from the bait boat. the receivers hadn't received it yet.

joe
[signature]

Hi DH_tubinjoe,

I added a bunch of new info to the report a minute ago you might not have seen. Tuesday and Wednesday both were bad chovie days for us, the Enterpirse, and the Persuit. What happened to the horsies? ha ha Last week the chovies were awesome.

Do you guys sometimes use the little skiff receivers outside the breakwater too? I'll bet thats where some sporties get the better bait when times are tough.

What's the percentage of the weekday passengers that use plastics almost exclusively? A new lure manufacture was on the boat yesterday. He's making a plastic that looks sorta like a giant sluggo. Product name just slipped my mind! Doh! I think it starts with an 'L'.

Anyway, check ya later.

JapanRon
[signature]
I know what you are talking about. I saw them at the fred hall show. you jerk them around underwater and the fish are supposed to love them!

about the bait thing. well..... haha I'm not tellin!

on mondays we have a bunch of regulars that come on the boat that fish plastics religously. they are always catching fish. they use the green and sparkle wham lures. we usually have about 7 or 8 guys on the week days that fish plastics

joe
[signature]