Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Action required to stop moves to ban float tubes on Irish Midlands lakes
This is quite a distance from the US mid-west but if you're planning on taking a fishing European vacation with a float tube in the luggage read on:

It came to my notice that a decision was made that float tubes are banned on the Irish midland lakes.
That would include Sheelin, Owel, Ennell, and several others.

On enquiring with the Central Fisheries Board I was referred to the Shannon Region Fishery Board over those lakes who said it's not decided yet, but they are considering the matter and will let me know when the decision is made.

Bearing in mind the fait accomplais aspect to their suggestion "that I get back later" - now is a good time for anybody who has float tubed these lakes during their holidays, or anyone planning to do so, to let their wishes be known on this subject to the Shannon Regional Fishery Board.
The CEO is Eamon Cusack, and the Assistant CEO is Sean Ryan. Their email is [url "mailto:info@shrfb.com"]info@shrfb.com[/url]

It is probably a good idea to copy any representations to the Central authority too. Their CEO is Ciaran Byrne and his email is [url "mailto:ciaran.byrne@cfb.ie"]ciaran.byrne@cfb.ie[/url]

This is a matter where reasonable numbers of correspondence showing polite expression that you are interested in float tube fishing in Irish waters while on holidays may produce the result that you will still be entitled to do it when you get here.
The right amount of feedback from float tube users now will affect the outcome positively.
[signature]
For what reason is occurring??[mad] I as an American have know idea why some one or some group would find it benefitting to disallow Float Tubes from using the water..
Please shed more light on this.
[signature]
Norm...

will emails coming from outside or Ireland do any good ??

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[quote macfly55]Norm...

will emails coming from outside or Ireland do any good ??

MacFly [cool][/quote]

Given the amount of angling tourism, and angling related accommodation on those particular lakes, I think it should have a noticeable effect.

Sheelin would compare with Henry's or Pyramid but with wild browns only. There are only a few lakes like those worldwide.
Ennell is a break you heart lake where wild browns average 3lbs+, but it's difficult to break your duck because they have so much natural feed available.
Owel is a clear water spring fed gem of a lake wild and stocked browns and stocked rainbows.

They are the keynote loughs affected by this rule change. All are large, 1 mile x 2-4 miles in size, and the territory of 18' boats. Tubing them is advanced stuff and for days when the conditions are pleasant. But in such conditions they are magic places to fish.

If this decision is extended beyond what I hear so far it would be used to ban tubing on Ree, Allen and Derg. All of them far too big for tubing, but with beautiful bays a mile wide x 1/2 mile across which sections of them are perfect tubing territory.
[signature]
thank you for the info and feedback...

MacFly
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I am glad to see that the final results were not all that unbearable. There are enough silly restrictions on our favorite sports as it is.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Hope you have a good year on the waters.[/#0000ff]
[signature]