Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aquatic Ivasive Species
[#000080]I exchanged mail with Larry Dalton, Aquatic Invasive Species Coordinator, UDWR yesterday with regard to the new programs they are working on. I asked if we as a fishing community could do anything to help with this important effort in controling the invasive species migration. He sent me the following text and I thought it appropriate to put his comments on this forum.[/#000080]
[#000080][/#000080]
[#000080]He said, "Anything you can do to cause/urge our anglers to understand that felt soled wading shoes put our fisheries at risk from aquatic invasive species would be helpful. There are good, cost competitive products available to our anglers, and they can help prevent the spread of AIS by getting rid of felt soled waders.[/#000080]
[#000080]Additionally, anglers need to routinely clean their waders between stream segments or bodies of water. Sometimes an AIS lives in one segment, but has not spread to the next upstream or downstream segment or nearby lake. Cleaning waders with Chlorox brand 409 is easy, cheap and should become routine for anglers."[/#000080]
[signature]
I agree 100% with the cleaning your gear properly EVERY time you use it and before using it again. There are ways to clean them properly even without using 409, but it is certainly an option. Just do it right...please!

As for the felt soles, I like the principle behind it, but in practice I think it's misguided when it becomes the focus. Neoprene guards, Tongues, shoe laces, and mesh material can all transport invasive species as easily as felt will. If we focus too much on felt by pushing bans and the like I think people get a false sense of security when using non-felt soles.
[signature]
I agree with the other parts of the shoe being every bit as big of problem, but the felt is an easy fix...next, hopefully they will come out with boots that have no laces, Tongue, or any other spot for these critters to hide.[Wink]
[signature]
True, it's an easy "fix" if that's what you want to call it. I guess I don't see it that way though. I don't think banning felt "fixes" anything. Felt, cleaned and cared for properly, is every bit as safe as a rubber soled boot. Rubber soled boots, not cleaned or cared for properly, is every bit as dangerous for invasive species as felt. So, by putting the focus on banning felt, rather than just educating proper cleaning and care, are we really "fixing" anything? In my opinion, it probably only lures people into a false sense of security and that is more dangerous than wearing felt.

I'm not trying to knock the message that was posted here, as they do emphasize proper cleaning. Just trying to have a more broad discussion that will hopefully help people to realize the need to clean and care for their equipment (boots, waders, boats, etc) EVERY time they hit the water, or they risk the chance of ruining our fisheries by transporting invasive species.

If anyone would like to see some tactics on how to clean their gear properly, this does a decent job on telling the proper way to do it.
http://stopans.org/How_Clean.htm

It will take everyone doing their part to stop this stuff.
[signature]
I have seen some studies strongly linking the spread of whirling disease with the use of felt waders. Sorry I don't have any links. One study I recall was done in Alaska. Having rubber soles isn't an excuse so you don't have to clean your waders and gear. Unfortunately this is directed at those who don't always disinfect their stuff. If they had rubber soles they would be less likely to transmit AIS. Most rules/ laws are directed at the at these bottom 10% of the population who won't do the right thing unless they think they'll be caught. Some manufacturers are working on other areas of wader design to reduce AIS spread. Bootfoot waders don't have much else to carry much dirt/ material that more efficently spread AIS. Again not that any wader can't spread it if not disinfected just some are much more likely. New Zealand has already banned felt and in Alaska the ban strarts 2012. So if you're planning to visit either place might as well make the switch next time you buy waders. I have rubber sole waders and they have performed just as well as any felt I've ever owned with regard to slipping. I'm currently looking for a pair of reasonable price bootfoot breathable rubber sole waders and so far haven't found any. So far what's available is a little limited.
[signature]
I have owned rubber bottom boots and I didn't like them one bit. They were very slick and I was wading on lava rock in the Henry's Fork on the Lower Masa Section. So when I returned from my trip I had my boots felted. Night and day difference.
[signature]
Not sure what rubber sole you had, but the new Vibram is unbelieveable.
I have the Aquastealth and had no problem getting rid of my felt back when Whirlin was the big issue[cool]
Not all rubber is created equal.[laugh]
[signature]