Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deer Creek 6-20-2010
Seeing as how it was Fathers day and all, My wife and daughters thought dad ought to take them fishing on the "Aluminum Dream" our 14 foot boat.

So we loaded the Gurls all up at 7am and went up to DC. weather was calm when we arrived at 8am and the water was glass. After setting up the boat and giving the wife an impromptu lesson on how to hit a lake with a boat while you back the car up, I launched the boat and parked the Jeep. LOL, she didnt like the way the trailer went the oppsite way she was trying to turn the car...oh well.

at Launch from the day use are just next to the bridge water temp was 57, as we headed west across the lake water came up to 58 and we had spots of 59 and 60 as we trolled down the west shore line parralell to the rail road tracks. not a bite BUT I marked TONS of fish, I am thinking they were perch and or Walleyes suspended in about 50 feet of water, most blips were anywhere from 17 feet to 38 feet deep. the smaller were schooled up and the occasional large and huge blip would appear under them. I had the sonar set to narrow beam so i was only reading what was passing under our boat. I had a 3oz bottom bouncer on with a green/chartrues spinner rig and a worm. I had the wife trolling a DT rapala DT 16 in bleeding shad I believe, I switched her up to a purpledecent shad rap size 5 or 7 later on. nothing for her. nothing for me. the 5 year old was sitting with mom waiting to reel in, the 11 year old was on her own with a lindy rig walking sinker 3/8oz and a wedding ring spinner rig in green tipped with half a crawler.

after we passed rainbow bay on the west side of the lake, I took a wide turn and headed back the way we came along the east side. went past rainbow bay, up in towards the day area and beach, made the pass through the channel of the island and main land, then turned back up towards the inlet across the "mud flat" that is when my 11 year old started to yelp. yes yelp she got scared it hit suddenly and then it pulled enough for her to have what looked like great difficulty getting the rod out of the holder as she screamed "dad, dad, what do i do, what do i do!!" LOL, after i laughed for a few minutes and my wife started to cry tears of laughter I had her take a deep breath and calm down. what hilarity. So I walked her through one thing at a time, let go of the rod, open the holder, lift out the rod, grab the rod tight with the spinnig real seat between your fingers, and start to reeling.

she figured it out pretty quick after that, but lost it again when the fish made a small run on her, then she realized she is fighting this fish and the grin appeared. that was a good gift on fathers day.

so I got the net, she reeled it up, and instead of lifting the rod tip and sweeping the fish to the net, she stuck her head overboard to look at it...more silliness. so we netted it, IT turned out to be her first walleye in her life. 13.5 inches, small male, aggressive little fish though. made a couple nice fillets we plan on eating tonight. cant wait for that. the 5 year old sees the eye and wants to poke its eyes all day now. LOL, she didnt really want to fish by herself, but she likes to reel them in and poke the eyes after they are on the stringer. so i had to put the fish in a bucket to keep her occupado the rest of the boat time.

I didnt hook up on any of the handful of hits I had, but i was busy with more important things, like letting the kids steer and showing them how to set up a rod etc...etc... we had a blast.

then Mother Nature had a blast, it was now about ten after 11 and the "W" kicked up and put some white caps on the lake, so we turned away from the river inlet and back towards the shore, it was quite the scene, all the small boats jockying for position to pull onto the beach there, luck would have it that no one pulled in behind my Jeep to i parked the dream right where our car was.

we decided to have our GARLIC balogna sandwiches for lunch and see if the "W" would calm down, IT didnt so our trip was over by noon. but it was a god day out with the fam for a while and I learned a few things to tweak on the boat for when we are in Bear lake this coming weekend on the 25th and 26th.

Good fishing to you.
[signature]
Sounds like a great Fathers Day to me.
[signature]
That was a good report Badfish. I mean what else is there besides family. Reading your story brought back memories of when my kids were young catching there first eyes. I took off and went 4 wheeling with my family on Sunday. We rode up out of Soldier Hollow. Down past Cascade Springs. Then we went up little deer creek. Parked in real beautiful spot and had lunch. Got back and fueled all the wheelers up $20 total not bad for 6 wheelers and 5 hours of fun with the kids and grand kids. Life is Good.
[signature]
you are correct sir!! it was a GREAT fathers day. they are still smiling. [cool] very cool.
[signature]
PIKEMAN thanks man. I will NEVER forget the day my little girl caught her first walleye, I dont think she will either. and you are right, without the family to share all this fun with it isnt much fun at all. I paid 5 bucks for the day fee and 5 bucks in gas for the boat. it was a GREAT price to pay for the time and memories we got in return.
[signature]