Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake this weekend.
Going up to Bear Lake this weekend and staying at the Utah state camp ground on the east side of the lake. Friday saturday and sunday. I have not had much chance to fish bear lake what should i use and where should i go? i think i can catch a few cut throats but only keep the ones with a clipped fin, what about macs? I will be pretty close to the rockpile I guess, is that a good area to go jig up some big ones?

I have also heard there are perch in that lake, is that true? if so any idea of locations to try out for a mess of perch for dinner one night? we will have a total party of about 20+ people up there.

someone help me out please, I would love to catch a nice trout and/or some perch for dinner one night. I will be mostly morning fishing, I usually have to get out of the water mid day in my small boat after the chop wakes up.

thanks in advance, I will post up on the trip when we get home next week.
[signature]
My guess is you will have a boat! I will let some of the boat fishers respond to where what and how. If you are planning on catching a mess of perch for dinner one night you better bring some frozen ones with you or you will go hungry. There are only rare reports of people catching perch at Bear Lake!
[signature]
Perch in Bear Lake? That's almost as bad as the carp that hang out by the marinas.

Crazy times.
[signature]
Use the Launch at Cisco Beach. Fish along Cisco Beach. There are plenty of fish right off the campgorund you'll be staying at. Check out BearLake FishGuy's reports. Trolling or jigging will catch fish.

Forget the perch idea. Concentrate on trout. Go read the Bear Lake Archives. There's plenty of info to get you through two days of fishing.

The rockpile is not near Cisco Beach. It's on the west side of the lake. Pretty hard to miss. You always see plenty of boat on or around it.
[signature]
Bear Lake has been fishing pretty cosistent the last few weeks. Cutthroat are being taken mostly by trolling along the east side from Cisco Beach north into Idaho along their east-side state park. Depths of 25-65'. If you have downriggers, use them. If not try trolling lead core line or if you don't have that, use a bottom-bouncer or in-line weight to get your lure to the right depth. Try some small spoons like you would for kokanee. They have been working well. Also, smaller rapalas and flatfish. They have caught some lakers using the same techniques and lures as well as the same locations.

There are perch in Bear Lake, but not enough to target or catch to make a dinner. They get flushed in from the Bear River/Mud Lake to the north each spring. Not worth wasting your time for.

My creel technician will be out at least one day this weekend so she will likely check you and find out how you are doing. Ask her what others are doing and she might be able to help you out. [#ff4040]Finally, MAKE SURE YOU HAVE FILLED OUT EITHER THE ON-LINE QUAGGA MUSSEL CERTIFICATION (OR THE ONE AVAILABLE AT THE BOAT RAMPS) AND PUT IT ON YOUR DASH BOARD. The ticket for not doing so is very steep. [/#ff4040][#000000]Good luck. Looks like it will be a good weekend for weather/fishing.[/#000000]
[signature]
Thanks to all!!

BLM, I do have the cert from online for the mussle awareness program, I printed out 6 copies just to make sure if one got wet. LOL. I dont want to even think about the ticket for that one.

I do not have down riggers, BUT i do have some bouncers and a few "banana weights" they go in line and are about 3 oz. and work well for gettting into the "deep zone".

sounds like i will start off with the daredevel and silver minnow!!! I love going old school. i do have some cow bells to troll too if need be.

I will post up next week and let you all know how it went down. good fishing to all this weekend.
[signature]
How big of a boat would you launch at Cisco Beach?
[signature]
Cisco's ramp is a pretty fair size ramp that drops off pretty quickly. A 20 ft boat can be launched pretty easily. If you're worried your boat is too big, launch at First Point, a few miles south of Cisco. The 1st Point launch will easily accomodate a larger boat.
[signature]