Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ocean fishing
On my list of 99 things to do before I die is to flyfish the ocean and catch something. In two weeks I'm headed to Newport Beach for vacation. I've read some things about flyfishing the ocean, but has anyone on here fished in that area or close to and can share advice and tips? I know it's not the ideal place to flyfish but the things I've read indicate that it might be worth a try. Thanks.
[signature]
I've never understood the allure of fly fishing in the Ocean myself. But the one thing I have to admit I'd like to try is shark fishing on the fly. Many target Mako. Need a boat of course but most fly fishing in the Pacific won't be worth your time without one anyway. Here's a link ttp://oregonflyfishingblog.com/2009/08/24/pacific-sharks-on-the-fly-i-think-were-going-to-need-a-bigger-rod/
[signature]
I'm going after Mako's in mid-August! All catch and release fly fishing only!
[signature]
So I've never registered for the site and always just read stuff, but I decided to register and give my two cents. Baetisman, I lived in LA for three years and had to find something to keep my flyfishing love alive. So I started flyfishing just in the surf and really enjoyed it. I bought some fast sinking intergrated line, like 300 grain or something, sank like 5-6 inches per sec I wanna say. And a ten foot 8 wt rod. I mainly used a clouser minnow, chartreuse. I think the other one I used was a razzler, orange color fly. Orange works real well because it mimics the mole crabs present all over in the sand the fish feed on. A stripping basket is essential to keep your line from twisting in knots and shooting it properly. I liked to fish low tide as it was coming in, especially mornings. Never fished all the way down in Newport, mainly stuck to beaches up in LA, like Dockweiler, Roger Williams, and even Santa Monica. I know guys fished down in Newport and Seal beach though. Mainly caught surf perch, with the occasional yellow croaker, or other smaller fish. I also would hook into a lot of leopard sharks and guitar fish. The sharks were tough to land, but really fun. I would just look for rip tides and deeper pockets along the surf line. Any kind of unique structure or current, since the beach is pretty plain. Alot of times the surf perch will school. In the summer there is also corbina people will sight fish. They put up a good fight and are often seen during low tides in shallow water. Hope this was helpful
[signature]
my son in law and I went shark fishing last November .. we were about 7 - 8 miles off La Jolla shores... I caught small mako (about 20 pounds or so).. and my son in law caught a 9 foot or so blue.. guesstimated weight was about 120 lbs... we had a great but long day on the water..

from what I have been told Aug is a hot month especially for mako...good luck Im sure you will have a blast...

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Very good information. I appreciate it. I look forward to exploring.
[signature]
I worked the boats out of Oceanside a very long time ago and haven't fished there in many years. IF I was going back for my "bucket list"I would "find a friend" with a small boat (large if I couldWink ) and fish the kelp beds. Hard to imagine a better day than Bonito, Barracuda & Calicos on a fly. Have fun!!
[signature]
[quote StillHuntin]I worked the boats out of Oceanside a very long time ago[/quote]

I love Helgren's!! Been out numerous times with that crew over the last 20 years. Never had a bad trip! Recommend them to anyone!
[signature]
where are you going and are you going with a guide??

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
PBH,

A loong-time ago. Like when Castro was scaring Kennedy and we got lobster and abalone when diving off Carlsbad[:/]

I worked the half-day boat (2 a days) and then stacked cork on the bait boat. Good times for sure.[Image: happy.gif]

I don't know if it was Helgren's then but the owner (or one of the Captains?) had a hughe collection of game fish miniatures.
[signature]