Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Younts Takes High Rock Reservoir Win
ATHENS, Ala. - Brad Younts came in early, but still won the Toyota Tundra Bassmaster Weekend Series, operated by American Bass Anglers, North Carolina Division 5 tournament, held July 10, 2010, on High Rock Reservoir.

The 29-year-old angler from Lexington landed five bass weighing 19.10 pounds, but two fish died because of a livewell problem. To keep the other three fish alive, he came in early, finishing as the Boater Division champ with an official weight of 18.10 pounds. One fish weighed 4.39 pounds.

"I felt pretty confident that I had enough fish to do well," Younts said. "This is my home lake and I figured it would take close to 20 pounds to win. I caught all my fish on a crankbait in less than five feet of water."

David Wright, 59, also of Lexington, landed five bass going 17.85 for second place in the 59-boat event. Fishing shallow, he caught a total of seven bass.

"I caught all my fish off the banks in six to nine feet of water," Wright said. "I caught five on a crankbait and two on a worm. The two biggest bass were in about seven feet of water."

The day didn't start well for Jarrett Freeze, 28, of Landis. Soon after leaving the marina, his motor broke down, forcing him to fish close to the Tamarac Marina instead of roaming the 15,180-acre lake. He still took third, anchoring his five-bass tournament limit with a 4.69-pounder, to finish with 16.93 pounds.

"I'd been on fish for the past month, but today, I was at the mercy of my motor," Freeze lamented. "It wouldn't allow me to travel where I needed to go. I had to make do with what I could do, but it paid off. I started cranking with a DT-6 in natural shad and then switched to a perch DT-10 when the boat traffic got up. I also caught some fish on a jig and a worm."

Steve Sink of Winston Salem landed in fourth with five bass at 16.84 pounds, followed by Rodney Sorrell of Stokesdale with a five-bass bag weighing 16.37 pounds including a 4.04-pound kicker. Jeff Farrell of Garner took sixth place among the boaters, but won the lunker competition with a 6.48-pounder. He landed five bass totaling 16.08 pounds.

In the Co-Angler Division, John Russell, 37, of Charlotte finished with 10.48 pounds. He actually landed three bass going 10.98 pounds, but suffered a penalty.

"I work nights, so I could spend a lot of days practicing on this lake," Russell said. "We did a little bit of everything. We caught fish on worms, crankbaits and jigs. Black and blue was the best color for plastics. Sexy shad was the top crankbait color. We caught everything shallow."

In second for the co-anglers, Abraham Street of Glade Spring, Va., landed a division limit of three bass going 9.89 pounds with a 4.20-pound kicker. Nicholas Ross of Lexington finished third with three bass at 9.15 pounds including one 5.21-pounder.

Helped by a 5.20-pounder, Christopher McDougald of Gold Hill took fourth with a three-bass bag hitting 9.07 pounds. Robbie Lane of Granite Falls landed two bass for 9 pounds, good enough for fifth place, but took the division big bass title with a 6.05-pounder.

About American Bass Anglers: The Toyota Tundra Bassmaster Weekend Series provides weekend anglers a professionally operated competitive tour with a path the world championship of bass fishing the Bassmaster Classic. American Bass Anglers commitment is to provide low cost, close to home tournaments for the weekend angler and at the same time offer each competitor an upward path for individual angler progression. For more information about American Bass Anglers and the American Fishing Tour, The Toyota Tundra Bassmaster Weekend Series, The American 150 Series or the American Couples Series, visit www.americanbassanglers.com.

Media Contact

David Hagood (888) 203-6222