Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tex Creek Zone
This is my first year elk hunting and I am planning on going to spend the weekend in Tex creek. Anyone been up there for the archery hunt? I am heading up for the rifle hunt the 15th - 21st.

If you dont want to share your super secret spots I understand but would love to get some info on where the herd might be. You can PM me if you dont want a bunch of people to know

Thanks!
[signature]
pray for snow early if you are cow hunting. they will get on the move and be easier too pinpoint right now i imagin they are still pretty high up.
[signature]
I hear that is the story for elk hunting around here. You have to get real high up because the hunt is so early. I went out last year with a buddy for the elk hunt and there was a little snow and we saw animals everywhere but could never get close enough.

I am hoping this year will be different.
[signature]
I spent the weekend up in Tex Creek deer/elk hunting.

We got up there about 6:30am on Thurs and spent most of the day in the Meadow Creek area looking for deer. We found the perfect spot and sat and watched about 8 moose come down to the water and splash around for about 30 minutes at 50 yards. One of the bulls had to be at least 3 /12 feet wide. After about 10:00 we decided to head out and walked around a bit glassing from the tops and only saw a few more moose.

That night we went back to the same spot and saw nothing. We talked to a few other groups and no one had seen any deer and only a few cow elk had been spotted. We spent the next day out in the Indian Fork area and saw a couple of does in the morning and a few more moose (anyone see a pattern?) Talked to a few more guys and still no deer spotted and only the occasional elk. At this point we had only heard maybe 1 shot each day but had seen at least 30 hunters each day.

Saturday we drove around most of the day just glassing and looking for anything in the trees and open fields. We saw some more does and put a couple of youth hunters on a small herd of does and after watching them for about 20 minutes we drove off and heard a few shots right after that. Hope they got something!

We left saturday night and headed back to rexburg. We decided to stop near Twin Bridges and work the river bottoms and we managed to see about 10 more does but nothing we wanted to use our tags on.

We did see one elk on the whole trip...It was in the bed of the truck in front of us at the check station in Ririe. It was a nice bull from what we could see. The F&G people even said that they had only had 2 elk come through and heard of one other being shot at. The warm weather really made it a tough weekend.
[signature]