Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Waist-high Waders?
Does anyone own a pair of these and what ones are the best value? I think I want some for the Summer.

Thanks,

Justin
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]The question is how will you be using them...for wade fishing or for a tube or toon? [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I only use waders for tubing, and my tube allows me to sit high enough that I do not need the full length of chest waders. However, the two pairs of waist high waders I have tried tend to pull down in the back when you sit in them...with the potential of allowing water to come over the back under some conditions. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I buy regular chest waders and then roll them down around my waist when tubing. I adjust the shoulder straps to snap around my waist, like a belt, to help hold them in place while walking. On a couple of pairs, with large uncomfortable snaps on the straps, I have cut off the straps and use a quick release belt to hold the waders in place.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Of the ones I have looked at, they are usually more costly than the more common and popular chest waders. So there is probably not any money to be saved.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Another consideration is that being able to pull the waders up higher...during cold or rainy conditions...helps a lot with the comfort on days when it is not warm and sunny.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Best advice I can offer is to try them on before making your final decision. And sit down in them to see how they fit in that position. As with most other clothing items they do not fit everybody equally. Some of us have different shapes and the waders are not one size fits all...even if they come in "our size". Sometimes you have to swallow your pride and buy a size or two larger to accomodate extra layers or to be comfortable while seated in them.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
i have a pair i use from my toon and fish during the summer. love them!! the first set i ever got were cabelas brand and they took a ton of abuse and still work to this day!
[signature]
I am thinking you are talking of waist high waders.( your link was removed) I bought a pair from Cabelas(not the cabelas brand) Hodgmans I think. Anyways they are great I have used them for the last 3 years for duck hunting and fishing out of my toon. They are great to walk in. Very light, and have no problems with them falling down. A big plus is that they are very cool in the summer.
I do wish I had bought the Cabelas brand. The Cabelas brand have a bullet proof guarantee, and claim they will replace if they ever fail for any reason..
[signature]
I do the same thing TD does. I have chest waders that I roll down most of the time. If I am wading I almost never get in deep enough water that I have needed much more than hip or waist highs. When I am in my pontoon I usually don't need anything higher either, but when I am in a tube (Fish Cat 4) and the wind and waves come up ---- well, it can just plain get nasty sometimes. I have been grateful to have that extra height as rain, or waves, or wake begin spraying over me. The chest waders are also warmer for cool to cold weather fishing in the spring, fall, or winter.

So I think it really depends on how, when, and where you fish. For me I like having the option of pulling them up higher if it is colder, or I want to wade deeper, or rolling them down for cooler and more movement.
[signature]
As far as the question....I vote YES.
You can pretty much fish anywhere with waist high, just be aware of fact they are only waist highs.

But, my question is, are they less money than the chest highs you are looking at?

Like suggested, the chest waders do roll down to waist highs, but for some reason, my waist high are so much more comfortable. Maybe because the do have elastic as well as a belt (WHICH YOU SHOULD ALWAYS USE). and no suspenders to worry about either on or off the waders

As far as Tube/Toon, I just wear boot foot breathable hippers.[Wink] That is my choice though.

If I only had ONE pair of waders....I would go with waist highs. Again, just me.
[signature]
Waist high are adequate for many circumstances. However it sucks to get soaked wading so ask yourself how often you need something higher. I personally won't use waist highs on anything but the very small streams ( < 20 cfs) because I almost always end up in deeper water at least a bit of the time. Hate to be in the situation where I can't wade to that spot I need to be to catch fish. I think a lot depends on your style of fishing and wading.
[signature]
Yeah, get the chest-highs for the rare ocassions you might need them, and just roll them down for regular use. I have chest-high waders, and very seldom wear them higher than my waist. As mentioned, roll them down and cinch them up with a belt. Safe, comfortable, and handy if you find yourself needing to pull them up a little for a deep crossing or something.
[signature]
Sounds like Cabelas are good. I already have chest waders that roll down. I want something that more comfortable for tooning and small streams. Thanks guys and gals.
[signature]
[quote riverdog]Waist high are adequate for many circumstances. However it sucks to get soaked wading so ask yourself how often you need something higher. I personally won't use waist highs on anything but the very small streams ( < 20 cfs) because I almost always end up in deeper water at least a bit of the time. Hate to be in the situation where I can't wade to that spot I need to be to catch fish. I think a lot depends on your style of fishing and wading.[/quote]

I have found a hole or two in my life,but even chest waders didn't help. Another good point though, the waist highs can fill up to neck....LOL
[signature]