Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starvation instead of Strawberry
We were excited to go to Strawberry today and left SLC early. Hit the road into the Marina before light only to see trucks ahead of us stopped. We stopped to see what was going on. Seems the snow drifts were really deep and trucks were trying to turn around. For us, that ment unload the wheeler, unhook the trailer , turn the truck and then hook everything back up. Several other trucks were in the same fix. Ok, maybe we can get on at the ladders. The hole through the snow bank looked wide enough for a snowmobile but maybe not a wheeler. Go to plan C. We made the drive to Starvation, getting there finally about 8:00. Headed out of Rabbit gulch and were finally ready to fish,NOT. The bolt that holds the auger shaft to the motor was gone. Let's go back to the truck, maybe it fell of in the truck bed. Yes, bolt found. Finally get the tent set up ready for fish, but no fish and the heater bottle wasn't screwed in tight and so there is no heat. We move and discover in the move that we a minus chains on one back tire. I stay and drill holes while hubby backtracks to find chain. Still no fish. Move a third time and let's have some lunch as it's almost noon. Finally, perch. Tons of small ones and a few larger ones. Who cares, they are fish. Then as a bonus for all the trouble I hooked into a nice brown. After three good runs I got him to the hole, got a quick photo and put him back. We wanted to stay for the night bite, but with no heat and the temp dropping we left about 4:30. It was an even zero when we got there and up to 7 when we left. I felt like a really long day.
[signature]
Hmm sounds like you had one of (those) trips. Sounds like a bad start but while I was working today I was thinking of that same fish he even has the red dots I was imaging lol. Nice fish and it sure was warmer today than the rest of the week I couldnt even imagine how cold the temps were up their on mon_tues.with all your crazy catches these last few years I thought you were going to post anouther pic of a big catfish lol.thanks for the pic tight lines
[signature]
Nice report!! Great fish, Got to love those kind of days .lol [cool]
[signature]
Re. the auger retainer bolt. Been there, done that. Try this, take the bolt out & ding the threads about 1/8 to 1/4 inch from the end with a cold chisel ot center punch. Ding it just enough to distort the threads adjacent to where you put the chisel or punch. This will make putting it back in a little tight but it'll keep it from backing out. Bring it over if you'd like & I'll do it for you.
[signature]
We were the last of the 5 vehicles yesterday (with ATV trailer) trying to turn around. I was in the red Ford PU. I had to back up for almost 1/2 a mile til we got to that parking area turnoff! WHEW!! That SUCKED!! I didn't wanna offload everything to turn around, was the last in line, and the guy ahead of me was backing, so....and the lucky thing for us was we were going to head up in the motorhome and spend the night, but the heater in the mh decided not to work, so we were making a day trip out of it in the 4x4 PU.
I KNEW I shoulda believed the indictors I was seeing- the flags on the shoulder markers on the road were standing strt out!! Drift city!! Reminded me of Kansas blizzards.
We ended up heading back to DC and getting a few(3) perch(small) and one RBT. [Image: beaten.gif]
That whole trip was kinda a BUST, but ANYTIME outside in the elements is better than being indoors.
[signature]
we my two boys and me were in the black truck with snowmobile trailer got backed up and was going to try chicken creek but the wind was even worse as u drove around flipped a uey and headed for rockport. end up with 9 for the smoker a good day.wish the trout at rockport were as big as when i was a kid u didnt catch fish out of there under 3 pounds.o for the good old days.
[signature]