Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Almost skunked! at Deer Creek
I finally got to Deer Creek this past Sunday. Wind was blowing all day but never so cold I got off the water from the cold.

I fished the State Park area over by the inlet and got a big zippo for 3.5 Hours. I moved down the road to the State Park by the island. I fished there 3 more hours and caught 7. At least I didn't get skunked.

The thing that worked the best was being out over 70' of water and using a type 3 sink line. I was trolling at almost two MPH so you can see I was moving but nothing else was working.

The most effective fly was a brown crystal killer. I did catch one on a brown mohair leech.

I want to try it again before the jet skiers get on there. I will not go out if there are jet skiers on the water. In other words I fish the real small lakes once it warms up enough for skiers and jet skiers.
[signature]
We were there. Nothing on the California leech like you, but the Black and White Chironomid was killer at 28' by the island.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Nice work. Glad you got out and that you found some fish. Takes some moving around and experimentation sometimes.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Makes me sick how the power squadron takes over some of our lakes...like Deer Creek and Pineview. I tried to hit Deer Creek up out of Charleston early one morning last year...middle of the week...right at daybreak. Figured I would get past the nutsos...not so. There was one ski boat that hit the lake about the same time I did and...you guessed it. They saw me and headed directly for me. Made several close circles around me before heading out to find more victims.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[signature]