Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No escaping them
Went up to the Wyoming Range for a couple days. Knowing the water was extremely high I headed up the Lander cutoff. Being fairly late I didn't stop and fish Smith's Fork or upper LaBarge but both looked to be quite fishable. Hit the Upper Grays. Quite a bit of water but clear. Fishing was has very good in the upper 10 miles for small to medium cutts. Big cutts sometimes hang out with higher flows but this late in the year they must have all headed downstream. Problem was the lower 50 miles was just too much water to wade.
The next morning I pulled into a spot on the Little Grays right above where it dumps into the main river. Flows looked high but clear and wadable. I was drinking coffee and giving the dogs breakfast while waiting for things to warm up for some terrestial action. I truck goes by heading upstream. Then 20 minutes later 2 guys come hiking down through the trees as I was almost ready to hit the water. They're about 40 yards away in waders with fishing gear when the see me. Instead of saying anything they just look toward the river and walk over and begin fishing. They never made eye contact or looked at me again. Unbelieavable, what kind of obnoxious idiots jump in 40 yds above you without a soul in sight otherwise? I do have a strong suspicion where they might be from. I drive upstream and a half mile up is the truck these 2 drove up in. Sure enough they have Utah plates[:|]. No vehicles for the next mile. I head back down and park a few hundred yards from their truck. I walk down until I see them down below. Instead of cutting in right above them, I decide to head upstream an extra hundred yards knowing they will likely never see me with all the bends in this section. I cut off the hopper and tie on a big ole prince nymph. I hit ever hole no matter how small with that nymph until I get a couple hundred yards above their truck. Almost ever hole produces a trout or 2. Must have caught 50 trout in 90 minutes. Most aren't very big but I didn't want to leave any fish willing to strike as they passed through. Only then do I change back to the hopper. Hopper fishing was OK. I head back to the car and drive up a few miles. There's the 2 getting ready to hit the stream a hundred yards above someone else working up the river. I thought about jumping in above these 2 again but decide against it. Hit another mile of stream further up. This time throwing in some size 8 orangish cicadas as there where tons down below. The cicada fly draws up to 3-4 strikes on many casts. Thankfully littler fish only occasional hooking themselves. Very fast fishing but still not a single fish over 15 inches the entire trip. By now it's past 3 pm and it's threatening to rain. So I head back to the car in time to beat the downpour.
I wish this was an isolated experience. Every time in Wyoming I've encounter monkeys acting like they're fishing the middle Provo with miles of open stream they're from Utah. Probably a couple weeks until most of the Grays is wadable and you have a chance at the bigger fish.
[signature]
Good that you got out and on to some fishable water. Sounds like the fishing was good even though you ran into some of the "animals" out there.

Too bad you mistakenly parked in their favorite section of the river! [crazy] I think it is a mind set some people get from fishing too many crowded "Blue Ribbon" streams. It seems like coming in and fishing 20 feet away is where they are comfortable. Maybe they are nervous to be out in the woods alone and think there is safety in numbers!!! [laugh][laugh][laugh]

I about died laughing as I read about you fishing the zone above them! I hope you waded up the middle of every hole too!!
[signature]
I guess I should have known they owned that stretch. They clearly were covering large chunks of river at a time with their truck a half mile up. It's not like they didn't realize that I or the other person that jumped in above might not be doing the same thing. Obviously they knew I planned on fishing more than 40 yards upstream. Much of that section of river was spread out wide with scattered hole so I couldn't wade through every one. Easy to reach every hole casting and then splash the size 8 fly in the middle of the hole on the last cast for good measure. My dog barked and growled a few hundred below their truck as something passed up above out of sight. I'm almost certain it was them walking back to their vehicle instead of fishing the rest after abandoning the stream that mysteriously turned off[angelic]. Got a pic of my half lab half pit bull that jumped up on a rock to tell them what she thought of them as they headed back.
Good day to be out despite these guys. Just wished the weatherman was right and the small chance of rain wasn't until today.
[signature]
Way to stand your ground Riverdog.....and that pup is beautiful.

I can't wait to move up north. I know there are ignorant fishers there, but that Snake is a big river.
[signature]
You're a lot nicer than I am. If people do that to me I usually cut to the next hole right in front of them, returning the favor. The other thing I hate is when I'm fishing in my tube and boats cut right in and fish right next to me. Especially when I'm obviously working my way up a shoreline, and they cut in and start working it in front of me.

I'm headed up to that area next week. I hope I can find some good fishing with the water like it is. I doubt I'll be able to make my way up that far as I'm going to be on an anniversary trip with my wife, so a few hours is probably the best I'll be able to do. I heard Pacific Creek is lower and fishing well. Has anybody fished it before? If so, how is it?
[signature]
That kind of stuff pisses me right off as well, but not enough that I go home and rant about it on a website. there sure is a whole lot of whining on here....just sayin'.
[signature]
No amount of rudeness on the river surprises me any more. Long past letting this stuff raise my blood pressure. I actually get a kick out of my dog being so vocal in expressing her disapproval with folks pulling this stuff.
A friend and I were getting ready to hit the West Fork of the Duchesne above the tiny reservoir there about 10 years ago. 2 guys park right behind us. They jump out with waders on, grab their gear and literally run the 50 yards to beat us to the stream. Obviously you can only wade upstream with the reservoir there. We still get a big laugh out of it to this day.
Didn't mean to sounds whiny. I posted it because they might actually read it here. I doubt it'll change their behavior too much as they were already in their 30's but you never know. Hopefully at least they'll know if they pull it on me again they're at risk for some discreet revenge.
[signature]
lunkerhunter2 and i were fishing taggarts (of all places) one day. we pulled off the road, parked and got rigged up. we were the only parked car there. as we are walking down stream to the first large hole a truck comes hauling ass down the road, slams on the brakes, parks (if you can call it that) and the two guys jump out of the truck and sprint to the hole we were walking to. we laughed it off and worked down river. when we came back lunkerhunter asked if they were doing any good, they said they caught a few whitties and thats all. lunkerhunter probably caught 40 browns that day.
[signature]
Some times it's so ridiculous all you can do is laugh. Best revenge is to go to town on the fish like that. I sort of doubt people that sprint to the water to beat you there really understand fishing to begin with.
[signature]
Or maybe they do. I mean we are very limited here in Utah as to where we can fish.
[signature]
I think it is good to post about this problem and other fishing etiquette issues. Maybe it will help some people to realize that what they are doing is as rude as it is. I think some of them don't realize it, or want to ignore the possibility it might be so they don't even look at you. Either way a little education on etiquette might help.

I am not sure where some people started fishing, but I think that many of those that began with combat fishing on the urban "Blue Ribbon" streams develop a very selfish and discourteous attitude. To them there is only one spot with fish in it and they have to get there first!

There are places where people wait in line to fish the same hole. At least they are courteous about that, but do they know how to act on an open western stream? To them the hole above where someone else is fishing is just an open pool -- ok for anyone to fish. Here we consider it unbelievably rude.

Or there are the ones who come up and stand right next to you and cast into the same hole. Some of that is a cultural difference --- they may come from a background where that is the normal way to fish. Others just don't give a dang! Either way it just isn't acceptable practices here, but not all of them know that.

Too bad you don't have to pass a test or class in order to fish! Invasive species, proper fish handling, and courtesy could all be rolled into one. But I would hate to see what it would cost in tax dollars to do it!!!!
[signature]
Do you get much on the Little Greys over 10-12 inches? I've been there two or three times and only caught a ton of little guys and a few bigger whitefish.
[signature]
Mostly small fish like you said. I usually stick with the Greys itself because when it's wadable hard not to get into the big cutts. I talked to a forest ranger and he said the biggest cutts he saw out of the Little Greys ever were 16-17 inches so I doubt there's many big ones in there. I wanted to try again this past weekend but the flows have plateaued. Not sure it will be in good shape until next July at this rate.
[signature]