Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lake Powell stripers
Been thinking about going to Powell for stripers. Is this a good time of year?
[signature]
I'm heading down Thursday, launching at Hite. I read the report saying the upper lake around Good Hope Bay has the better Striper fishing right now. The new report comes out on Wednesday. You can either find it on Wayneswords.com or the Utah fishing report. Wayne writes them both. I'm not sure if the boils will still be going on so I'm planning on doing alot of trolling. I've never been down there in Sept. so I plan on trying a bunch of stuff til I find what they want. I found a broken-back Rapala that I used in July that produced not only Striper but Smallmouth and Walleye as well. Good times!
[signature]
Just got back last saturday. Fishing was terribly slow with the water being at 83 degrees. We fished Mouqi canyon. Best tactic I found was to fish early and late with a Zara Spook. Looks for fish feeding on the surface. I wouldn't call them boils, but just a small school of fish pounding the shad. Throw the spook where you see the action and usually that will produce a blow up.
[signature]
Thanks for the info. I have a friend who has been bugging me to run down there and I have not seen any recent reports. THanks again
[signature]
I was down there a couple of weeks ago and fished around farleys canyon and ran into one good boil and pulled about ten out of it. The rest we caught trolling with lippless cranks in shad colors off the down riggers at twenty feet deep. Between ten of us we caught around fifty in four days so not great but not horrible. also lots of small channel cats and only one smallmouth.
[signature]