Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hummibird Piranhamax 170?
Does anyone have this model and is having problems marking fish? Someone recommended I switch the fish symbols to arches, but I also can't figure out how to do that. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. It seems to be marking depth just fine.

Thanks,

Justin
[signature]
[url "http://store.humminbird.com/media/document/PiranhaMAX_150-160-170-180-190c.pdf"]Link to manual[/url]

Page 33 turn Fish ID off.
[signature]
Thanks for the response. I tried turning fish ID off, but I still didn't see a single arch on my screen. Still not sure what I'm doing wrong. I hope I don't have a defective unit.
[signature]
Can't speak specifically for this model, but if your unit has auto sensitivity setting, you might want to switch to manual sensitivity, especially in shallow water and adjust the setting up somewhat. Also, make sure your transducer is mounted correctly and point straight down into the water or according the the manufactures recommendations. Fish location and arches can depend on boat speed, bottom contour, and other factors. Most sonar manuals explain how the sonar works and might give you some good ideas on how to interpret what you are seeing on the screen, as well as how to tweak various adjustments for best results based on different conditions. Others might not agree, but I would recommend getting totally away from the fish symbols and learn to interpret the info without that. If all else fails then you could contact the tech support people and see if they could help determine whether the unit is defective or not.
Good luck with it!!
[signature]