Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rifle elk hunt
I finally got lucky and got into a nice herd and took a 6 X 6 elk last Sunday. We all had young kids along who wanted to see a whole elk. I will never do that again as it took 6 hours to get out and almost gave all of us a heart attack. Amazing what we will do for our kids. I got him at about 90 yards running with a .308 M1A in a Sage EBR stock with an EOTech sight. With a regular scope there would have been no chance at hitting this elk. I'm still flying high as this is the biggest elk I've ever gotten. It's no B&C bull but it is to me.
[signature]
Very nice bull! That's crazy bringing out a whole bull :o I'd rather of taken the kids to Cabela's and let them see the mounted ones xD
[signature]
You are correct, crazy! I'll never do that again. It was only back there about 1.2 miles per gps. Game cart wheels taco'd as soon as we put it on there. I'll never ever do that again. They've seen one so next time it's coming out in quarters.
[signature]
Very nice bull. Congrats to you all on a great hunt.
[signature]
Nice bull my friend CONGRATS

By the way you and your buddies are more than welcome to go elk hunting with me and help get my elk out [Wink]
Over a mile and in one piece. Amazing [crazy]
[signature]
Great job on a very nice bull.
[signature]
Nice bull, I am still green, and only have 6 unfilled tags over the year to show for it. Way to go man.
[signature]
Very nice bull especially if it was taken on the general hunt. I noticed you said the next one would be quartered and brought out, boning out the meat after you get one down and putting the meat in a pack frame or pack sack makes the load even lighter. Why pack the bone and hide out, just adds extra weight to your load. Once again congrats and enjoy some good eats.
[signature]
Way to go on a nice bull.
And packfan is right, we drug a spike out a few years back, and a cow the following year. As of recent years, now that we got a little smarter, anything not needed is not carried. We debone it right where it lays, throw it in contractor bags, and then into our packs. Comes out pretty easy, especially with 3 or 4 guys.
[signature]
Thanks everyone.
[signature]
That's a pretty cool elk gun [Smile] how far can you be accurate with a red dot scope, I assume there's no magnification to it
[signature]
I can ring 5" pieces of rifle steel at 200 yards all day with that rifle (did it four days before the elk hunt started). Last year I was hitting bigger steel gongs past 500 yds with it. EOTech's are not just a cheap red dot scope. They are as good as it gets. You can add a 3X magnifier if you would like magnification. Where I was hunting it was pretty thick so didn't have it on the rifle at all (even though it just flips out of the way). That stock is the enhanced battle rifle stock from Sage, the rifle is a Springfield M1A (not a National Match but still very accurate). It is being used as a precision rifle platform by the military now, topped with a Schmitt and Bender or other magnified optic however. We should hook up and throw some lead. You will be surprised, pretty sure the Smile on your face wont come off for a few days ha ha.
[signature]
That would be fun [Smile] I know a lot more about shotgunning than rifles but that sounds like a fun toy!
[signature]