Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cut throat Paridise the berry
Got up this morning and decided today would be a good day to head to the Berry before the next series of storms roll in. My Dilemma though is the boat has been winterized, and I am not much of a bank fisherman. But nonetheless I wanted to get up there and just enjoy the lake. It is such a peaceful place for me to unwind and rejuvenate my spirits.

I got to the Lake about 9:00 am because I didn't really want to go freeze my butt off earlier. The temp going up Daniels was 21 degrees. I decided to head to Renegade, but by the time I got there someone was fishing where I wanted to go. So I back tracked over to the north shore of Indian Creek. It has been hot for Bows all year so I was excited to go give it a try. The walk to the point I wanted to fish took me about 45 min to get to, It would prove well worth the effort. I got to the point about 9:45 am. I got both poles in the water quickly and the action was none stop. I started with a Worm and bober on one pole, and PB on the other. The worm was the ticket. I reeled in the PB pole and put on a white tube jig and tipped it with a worm, I proceeded to catch Nice cuts about every 15 min or so. After about 1:00 pm the fishing slowed abit so I started to experiment. Tied on my Lucky Craft and first cast snagged it up and lost it, That sucked.

After losing my "expensive" lure, I tied on my favorite Ice jig with about 5' of leader under a bober, and tipped it with a worm, wow! I couldn't keep it in the water, they would swarm it. I could see several fish fighting for it at a time, It was awesome.

I finally got my fill of catching fish about 3:00 pm and packed up and headed home, I estimated catching about 25 fish, with 2 over the slot, no rainbows, all cuts which surprised me. I did have one huge hog that I caught on the jig and as I got him close to shore he snapped my line, I estimated him about 28" and thick.
It was a fun day to be at the berry!
[signature]
Nice report. Those cutts look gnarley dude- big teeth, jaws, heads.
Cool cool cool!
[signature]
I forgot to mention, there was ice in the inlet area out about 50' or so, It won't be long now!
[signature]
Looks like a lot of fun. Pretty good point to fish, eh? Does it get deep pretty quickly right there or does it stay shallow for awhile?
[signature]
Fantastic report there KC5. You are not the only one reporting that today at the Berry was phonomonal. I talked to one guy that caught 50 cuts today!

I sure wish I would have gone down today too.
[signature]
That point is a pretty good one, I fish there in my boat but out a bit deeper it does drop off to about 25' pretty quick. Not sure what happened to the rainbows, couldn't get them to hit today.

I was really wishing I had the boat, the water was great today, calm and fishable all day, only a slight ripple every now and again, most of the day was glass. I might have to get the boat back out if these next storms whimp out.

I took my 5' light rod with me today, and what a hoot, most of the fish I caught was on my light tackle rod, those cuts put up quite a fight right now. One cut (26") I caught took my spool out 3 times before I landed it.

I also witnessed something I have never seen there before, I was watching a 8" chub crusing the shoreline about 6' out, then all the sudden a nice cut comes flying in and chomped that thing up, it was wild, that chub didn't even know what hit him. Those babies are definitely doing there job, I witnessed it today!
[signature]
Willing to divulge the nature of your favorite ice fishing jig, or is it a secret? (Which is cool, too.)

I'm only asking because my ice fishing record at Strawberry is even worse than my non-ice fishing record at Strawberry, if you can imagine.

But, tonight I was up there well after dark, didn't arrive until the moon came up, and still managed to bring in two cutts, one on PB, and one on a roadrunner trailing a 2-1/2" glow white tube.
[signature]