Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blacksmith 1/5
I hit the Blacksmith Fork yesterday for a couple of hours. I stopped before getting to my usual spot because there was ice on the road in all the shady spots, and I didn't have much time to waste going slow on it. When I got to the river, I noticed there was moose hair on the branch of a tree next to me, and droppings on the ground. Thankfully I never did run into the beast.

Pretty much as soon as I hit the water, the sun slipped beneath the canyon walls, and my balmy day turned chilly. I fished for two hours and caught 8 little browns and missed 3 more. These were pretty typical of the day. [inline "brown small.JPG"][inline "brown 2 small.JPG"]
I caught all but one on a little Prince variation that I recently made up. I started with a uv brown head and olive brown body, and later switched to a pheasant tail coloration with peacock ice dub for the head, and pheasant tail ice dub for the abdomen. They seemed to like that one a little better. I switched to a dry dropper as I found most of the fish in shallow riffles and pockets, and I didn't like the way the indicator rig was presenting to them. I picked a size 10 foam hopper for it's buoyancy and visibility, and to my surprise, a fish inhaled it and all that was showing was the head of the fly. That was unexpected for January. Things really picked up at the end with 3 fish in the last ten minutes, and the biggest, a behemoth pushing 12" (the camera got bumped to scenery, hence the blurry pic).[inline "brown 3 small.JPG"]

Sadly it was time to leave for work.

Nothing spectacular, but considering it was early January in Cache Valley, it was just amazing to be out on the water catching some fish. They also fought really well for their size and the cold water. Several even went airborne multiple times.
[signature]
Brilliant.

I made it up there two weeks ago for a blast n' cast with a friend. We ended up putting a lot of steel into the air, but no quackers -- but the Brownies were hitting just dandy. Tried our luck over on the Logan river and had the same luck in both areas. All Browns, all taken on an 18 BHPT below a big glow bug.

That was my first time up there and man, the water is BEAUTIFUL. I am dying to get back up there.
It really is a beautiful place. I forgot to mention that an eagle flew over me while I was fishing too. I'm thinking I might check out The Logan next time as I didn't fish it at all last year, and there are some really nice cutthroat in there.
[signature]
Great post! Glad you got a chance to get out there. Those are some pretty browns.

I can't think of previous January that I have even been tempted to go stream fishing. Weird but amazing weather!
[signature]
Thanks. I've definitely become a fair weather fisherman in my old age. I never would have even dreamed of going fishing the past few Januaries. March is my usual first trip of the year. It was a nice treat getting out so soon. I hope it makes the winter a little more bearable.
[signature]
Sounds like a great day! Makes me a nostalgic for Cache Valley - Blacksmith, the Logan, the Bear... my old stomping grounds during college. I fished almost every day for a couple years. I keep meaning to go back one of these days, now that I know what I'm doing with a fly rod a little bit better, but during the summer it seems I can never make it further than Mantua and all those feisty little bluegill.

In regard to fishing in January, well, before they made fishing licences last 365 days, when you just got one for the calendar year, I always made it a point to go fishing on New Year's eve. Had to get one last trip in to get my money's worth. Plus it's really great to see people's reaction when they ask "So, what did you do for New Year's?..."
[signature]
Cache Valley has some great little streams, not to mention all the cool places to fish just north of the border. My wife had just gotten into grad school at USU when I met her and we both just decided that we loved Cache so much that when she graduated we moved up here. I don't regret it.

Sounds like you were pretty hardcore, fishing on New Years in Cache and all. When I was younger, living in Utah Valley, I remember going out on Christmas Eve and New Years, but it's so much colder up here.

I don't blame you getting distracted by the gills. Warmwater fish are tons of fun, I actually fish them more than trout. Bass on the fly are even more fun though in my opinion.
[signature]