Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Perch at the ROCK????
I dont want to kill anyones honey hole or anything, BUT I would not mind if I was able to get a few perch out of rockport this year also. my wife has condemned me to fish rockport on the ice this year due to the tagged fish deal(she is mean i know).

I have been fishing near the dam all times i have gone, is there someplace I can go near there that I can possibly get into some perch also? I dont think the rock bottom near the dam is the best perch habitat and I am not too familiar with the territory of rock port yet, except for the grass flats near the river inlet in the summer.
any help would be appreciated, i accept PMs also. thanks in advance.
[signature]
The perchin at RP has died off significantly starting I would say 3-4 years ago. Used to be pretty decent action for the perch when I used to spend a lot of time there. Over the last few years I don't go nearly as much. Back when they used to be in there though, you would have to go out into the middle of the lake I think it was typically 60' where I mostly go into them. Again, this was back when I used to go there. I would put a small ice fly on with a heavy weight about 12" up and let the jig fall hard to the bottom. Once it hit bottom, give it half a crank up and wait for the bite. If that didn't produce do it again. Best advice is if you are looking to get into some perch numbers, might want to try some more perch friendly waters. If you do manage to get one tip your jigs with the eyeball....tough press to find better bait for perch than the perch themselves. Weird little fish[Wink]
[signature]
My son and I fished Rockport Saturday. We checked our favorite spots for perch, and didnt find any. There are some in there, but not on the east side where we were. We drilled lots of holes and marked very few fish on the finder. We like Rockport, but wont be back this year. Lots of people and none of them were catching fish. Sorry to hear your wife has grounded you. Life's too short to fish where there are no fish. My hat's off to the sponsors. They have generated some interest and revenue. It will definately take some preassure off other waters.
[signature]
rockport was once one of my favorites....but with the contest its far to crowded for me
[signature]
PM me about RP perch
[signature]
Not trying to be "Mr. Negative" or anything but I think that tagged fish thing is borderline scam. I mean really 25 tagged fish? I guess it's better than nothing but I feel the revenue they're gaining compared to the meager payout is lame. Pretty typical of ice fishing derbys and contests though. They bring a ton more in than they eventually pay out.
And who witnesses the tagged fish being released? How are the sponsors held accountable?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]But...how do you REALLY feel about it?[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Never liked contests, derbies and such. Takes away all the enjoys when there is the cutthroat pressure, cheating, fudging, conniving and all that. Now if you want to know what I REALLY think...[/#0000ff]
[signature]