Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
what kind of rod do you guys use for the rockfish???
what kinds of rods do you guys use for the rockfish??

i just like to use my jigstick. 20-40pound rod. i use 30# line. it works for me!

joe
[signature]
I like that set up too only I like 40# on a jigmaster on a 8ft med-stick[cool]
[signature]

Hi DH_tubinjoe,

Right now it's shallow water rockfish and a two hook setup. What's with the heavy artillery???? ha ha

I use a 15 to 25 pound rated rod with 16 to 20lb mono or 30lb rated spectra-like line (superthin). Main reason is that the thiner line doesn't get carried so much as the thicker lines in the current. Thiner line has better sensitivity at deeper depths. The sticks sensitivity is better with lighter ratings.

Why so light? Ever catch two 20lb ling cod at a single pull? I think NOT! Hang ups?? Loose your sinker first anyway, right? Ya ya, I'm just a hopeless lite tackle guy.

JapanRon
[signature]
Dont be scared to use a break away sinker. Whats that? Below your ganion or dropper loop add a piece of 10 pond test to hold your sinker so if you snag the bottom you can break your sinker off and still get yuour fish and hooks back.
[signature]

Hi bobbybigfish,

That's just what I meant! I don't think it's a problem to loose a sinker on a lighter line dropper loop or whatever as long as your other stuff is intact!

I'm kinda cheap so.... I don't mind loosing sinkers instead of the two circle (like nearly a buck a piece!) hooks plus the time it takes to retie during a hot drift!

JapanRon
[signature]