Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boulder Mountain Guide- Steve Stoner?
Hi Pals, as some of you know, I am on a major mission to try to catch a really pretty spawning male brookie sooner or later. Last fall I tried henry's lake and had a great experience and caught tons of nice fish, but feel like my chances there for a colored-up male are slim! I may keep trying there and elsewhere, and hadn't considered Utah too much in the past, but kinda am now.
So, I had a long talk with Steve Stoner of Boulder Mountain Guide and he seemed like a super great guy, but he also made it sound like it would be ridiculously easy, and that the fish are huge and colored-up all summer, yada yada, like guides do. I would way rather do this on my own without a guide- I even know what lake he's talking about when he's telling me where we would go, but hirng him might be the right thing to do.
Does anybody know anything about him- reputation, ethics, success, anything at all? Please send me a PM if you don't mind. Also, I know what it's like to hear about an outsider interested in coming to your state, but believe me when I say I will respect Utah like crazy, I'll come alone and would never exploit it in any way- that's a promise. THANKS for ANY info!
Dave Smith, Dave Smith Decoys
[signature]
Do a search on here for "Steve Stoner" and you will find threads regarding him and his guiding practices.
[signature]
+1
The guy has a reputation. Not saying he couldn't put you on big brookies if you don't have the all time it takes to do the leg work yourself. I think it's a matter of whether you can tolerate the experience.
[signature]
You know, you guys have kinda made me just realize: this quest is too personal and means to much to me to involve a guide. I'm thinking that the "trophy" aspect of it could be seriously reduced if I was simply led to a spot and told to cast. I'll give myself 3 or 4 more Falls to try without a guide and then if I'm still empty-handed I'll start looking for professional help- and maybe a fishing guide too- lol!
THANKS for the replies and pm's!!!!
Dave
[signature]
All the information you need can be found on Stoner's website...and he is right. The fish on boulder mountain are typically colored up well throughout the year...no need to wait for a spawning fish.
[signature]
[quote wormandbobber]All the information you need can be found on Stoner's website...and he is right. The fish on boulder mountain are typically colored up well throughout the year...no need to wait for a spawning fish.[/quote]

That's amazing. I can't help but wonder though, if the fish are that pretty in August, will they be spectacular in October???!! ha ha
[signature]
Depending what your definition of "Big" is, I would would probably head to Eastern Canada. One day I will. To me a trophy Brook is one over 5 lbs and believe me, its way harder to do in Utah than you think.
[signature]
[quote Weekend_Warrior]Depending what your definition of "Big" is, I would would probably head to Eastern Canada. One day I will. To me a trophy Brook is one over 5 lbs and believe me, its way harder to do in Utah than you think.[/quote]

Boy would I love to! that's just way out of this decoy maker's measley budget ha ha. To tell you the truth, I would probably go to Fortress Lake in BC before heading to Eastern Canada, unless I had unlimited funds. So, everything is relative- if I fish in the west- even a 3 pounder would be a trophy to me. the main thing I want is a deep body and hook jaw, plus spectacular colors. The fish my best friend in the world always wanted to catch and I was always going to mount it for him and he died before we ever did it. We procrastinated way too long. Now I need to finish what he started all those years ago. Dave
[signature]
Yeah, I think Mr. Stoner is a very knowledgeable dude, but his people skills are a bit of a hindrance. I can attest to that first-hand. Virtually no return customers from what I understand. Take that FWIW.

IMO, with a bit of research, you can find suitable spots to fish and target what you're after. I can help you if you need some tips or pointers...
[signature]
[quote Lobina_Mosca]Yeah, I think Mr. Stoner is a very knowledgeable dude, but his people skills are a bit of a hindrance. I can attest to that first-hand. Virtually no return customers from what I understand. Take that FWIW.

IMO, with a bit of research, you can find suitable spots to fish and target what you're after. I can help you if you need some tips or pointers...[/quote]

Gotta be tough to scratch out a living as a guide if you don't have any repeat customers. I read through some of the archives as per the great advice on this thread. Sounds like he's got quite a fanclub ha ha. pm sent L_M and thanks! Dave
[signature]
There's a handful of other guides that work the Boulder Mountain. They all know the mountain really well and they are accomodating and easy to work with. There are a lot of 3 pound brookies on the Boulder. If you do your research and spend a little time on the mountain exploring I sure that you will be able to find some good brookies. Good luck.
[signature]
[quote Highmth]There's a handful of other guides that work the Boulder Mountain. They all know the mountain really well and they are accomodating and easy to work with. There are a lot of 3 pound brookies on the Boulder. If you do your research and spend a little time on the mountain exploring I sure that you will be able to find some good brookies. Good luck.[/quote]

Thankyou, Highmth- that was super cool of you and great advice and also thanks for the encouragement. Yeah, that fish in your avatar would be just what the doctor ordered! Congrats on a beauty! Dave

PS: THANKYOU to Lobina Mosca
[signature]
cpierce:

THANKYOU my friend- thankyou so much for the great advice!!!!
Dave
[signature]