Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stuart Inshore Report: 10-12-03
This is one of my favorite times of the year to fish the Treasure Coast, with the mullet run now in full swing. Both sides of the Indian River are absolutely loaded with finger mullet being chased relentlessly by trout, snook, tarpon, jacks and others. The best bite times have been predawn until 9 a.m., 5-7 p.m. and nighttime. Find the bait (which is a no-brainer) and the predators are nearby.

There have been lots of snook near area bridges at night inhaling the doomed baitfish. Live mullet on circle hooks is always an option, but topwater lures cast just outside the bait schools have been producing the best results. These mega-baits should be around for a few more weeks in the Indian River and along the surf so get out there and take advantage of the incredible action. In the inlets, try the incoming tides. It’s quite a sight to see thousands of mullet jumping for their lives all at once!!

Elsewhere, we finally hit the “100” mark for tripletail this year, with Hank Travers from Port St. Lucie getting the honors with a nice 5 pounder. Structure fishing has really picked up with nice flounder, drum, snook and tripletail showing up this past week. Also a few Spanish mackerel and pompano are around the inlet area on incoming tide.

Trout fishing remains excellent on both sides of the Indian River. Again, find the bait and the trout are under them. Live and DOA shrimp, along with topwater lures are working the best. Last week the bird stands just south of the “nuke” plant and outside Little Mud Creek on the east side were both pretty hot!

The St. Lucie River remains dirty with fresh water releases continuing so I would avoid this area for awhile. The releases are supposed to be cut to “pulse” releases this next week and I’m hopeful that conditions will improve, but it will take some time.

Yesterday at the Riverside Park in Jensen Beach , the Indian Riverkeeper held a fund raiser “Fishing Expo” where charter captains, and other fishing related businesses got together to share information to the general public. I would like to thank all who donated their time and efforts.

Try to get out there fishing while the mullet run is on. It only occurs a few weeks out of the year so don’t miss this opportunity!

Capt. Bob Bushholz

http://www.catch22fish.com

(772) 225-6436