Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
San Onofre (domes) Fishing Trip 10/15

I went out on the 3/4 day open-party boat Premier today. The load was light with only 18 anglers. We had an excellent load of 5 and 6 inch plus sardines and anchovies.

Going where the yellowtail bite is hot right now, we traveled south for about 4 hours to just a little north of the San Onofre power stations sporting the twin domes.

We had lots of company from Newport, Davey's, and Dana Wharf boats as well as PBer'.

18 people managed to catch 40 yellowtail. I caught 3 fish that were in the 8 or 9 pound range. All the fish seemed to be the same size (cookie cutter) fish.

20lb to 30lb test line seemed to do the trick although the water condition was very clear. Most people either fly lined a sardine or used a 1/8th to 1/4 oz sliding egg sinker and fly lined one. I used a pinch on 1/16 oz lead myself.

JapanRon
[signature]
sounds like an awesome trip! but 4 HOURS!!! how much fishing time did you guys get in???

thats a long ride!

did any of the other boats from up here go down there???

how fast is the Premier??

joe
[signature]

Hey there DH_tubinjoe,

Ya it was a long ride. 4 hours down, 4 hours fishing and 4 hours back. Ever notice how much longer the 4 hours coming back seems than going? ha ha

The only thing I can say is that as we were lucky enough to get the bite which made it was worth the trip. On the flip side, the long, often fruitless rides one must take when chasing albacore is something I avoid like the plague and a reason I haven't gone albie fishing in around 2 whole years.

I often go to landings early when the multi-days are coming in and have seen too many heads hung low too many times. ha ha Not laughing at their bad luck just how fickle lady luck can be.

JapanRon
[signature]
ya i know what you mean!

joe
[signature]
Hay Ron

All Bait fish, no jigs?
[signature]

Hey there FTRDeckhand,

As a matter of fact lots of guys were trying jigs for a short time but no go. Jigs tried were mostly B/W, White, and a mackerel color.

I tried plastics too with not the luck I had at Catalina earlier in the season on the rats and firecrackers.

The area had been hit hard for the last week so I'll guess the yellows were well educated.

Oh Ya, No jig stops, 0, nada not for jigs or even when dragging CD's.

Nice talkin' with ya,

JapanRon
[signature]