Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some Weber Questions
Looking to fish the Weber this week and really haven't been there for a good while. Any luck on the stretch between Echo and Rockport? Also, i wonder if it is best to throw a bounce rig nymph rig like so many people do on the Middle Provo, or throw an in-line nymph rig? I like in-line so much better. What bugs would you suggest and also any streamers as i am just starting to try streamers and really enjoying it?

Any advice would be great. Thanks
[signature]
middle weer is on fire, through an in line nymphy rig, zebra midges are the tick as are copper johns, streamers will work but we have had to fish them slower than usual... the end
[signature]
I think it depends on the flow. I typically tie nymph (weighted or not) then a dropper off the eye or the bend 18" to two feet and add Bead head. Putting split shot 6" to 12" up from first fly.
BUT, in faster current and teaching newbies, I prefer the Provo Bouncer. It is really easy to flip back up stream and really no snagging.
Just different tactics, part of the beauty of fly fishing.
[signature]
i had a great day with a standard nymph rig everywhere i tried. make sure you get it on the bottom whichever way you set it up, it will be a lot more effective. caddises started hatching in the afternoon which made for a few hours of fun surface activity.
[signature]
Hey FG,
what is a Provo Bouncer? Pic?[Smile]
[signature]
I was taught by Larry Tullis many years ago. I have no idea how one puts a youtube into a post but here is the link
http://youtu.be/dZ0hvZX2Uf0
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]That is the dropshot fly technique I was telling you about...that I began using back in the 60's on the lower Provo.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Lots of potential variations...in leader lengths, fly patterns, etc. But the split shot comes off when it is snagged, saving your flies...and hooked fish.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks Joni. I take it that will work on slower water as well? Good info. Especially about the downstream hookset. No wonder I miss so many fish in moving water[blush]
[signature]
Hit the weber yesterday and had a decent day, we caught like 15 fish between us in a short period of time. Mainly white fish and a couple browns here and there. I still struggle to figure out that river... I don't know if i wasn't deep enough or the wrong bugs. It was the lowest I've ever fished it so i thought i was deep enough. I was thrown an in line nymph rig with zebra midges and small pheasant tails or copper johns and they seemed to like the size 20 midges in either red or black. My buddy did well with a tannish brown sow he ties. He caught a pretty good brown with it. OHHHH YAAA and we were walking down to ask permission to fish between two ranches and the guy on the north said yes and we were walking down and were surrounded by three mean dogs and the great pyrenees mountain dog bite me on my A## and luckily i had waders on. The lady didn't even care and watched it happen. I was so mad, too bad i love dogs and can't hurt one cause it tried to attack us again...
[signature]
a good all aorund rig for nymphing is a big stonefly this time of year and any kind of sow bug/ scud trailed behind it. have had some good days this year on that rig.

tightlines
[signature]
lolololololol was one dog black and two of them kinda brown? i ask because the land we fish, the owner has those dogs like that and they are mean as hell unless you give them a chunk of jerkey then they want to be your best friends.

we went up again this past weekend and i got a gorgeous cutty out of there, ill find the pic on the wifes phone and try to post it, cant wait to use the new 10 foot 4 weight helios when i get back!
[signature]
There was a few brown dogs and one big white one. Its just by warship somewhat, it was like the river run ranch with al pacas or whatever those animals were. But we went back yesterday to another are of the middle weber and it was really good. We caught over 60 fish between the four of us and had some holes that we could have picked trout out of all day. The sow bugs were awesome again, along with rainbow warriors and any zebra midge. You just had to make sure your set up was just right and then it was on. Man there is so many whities in that river though, they are fun but i think 45 of our fish were white fish.
[signature]
those whities are great fighters though, hookin a 26 inch whitefish is like hooking a carp. whenever i hit the weeb i catch 3 whities to one trout usually. also try a midge pattern underneath a stimulator about a foot and a half below, i can almost guaruntee you wont catch as many whitfish with that rig.

tightlines
[signature]