Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Horseshoe
The latest news is that the bonita are biting on the Horseshoe. We caught 10 fish from 2 lbs to 5 pounds. I caught a 5 pounder on ten pound line and a flylined sardine which took 10 minutes to land. They really,really fight back especially when they see the boat. It's been a long time since I have landed a "bone" and it was greatly appreciated by yours truly. They were gratefully returned. I forgot to mention the 2 yellowtail hook-ups which are still running. 10 pound is no match for the yellows.
[signature]

Hi there gvanzant,

Ahh you lucky devil! You know the 'shoe' so well that I can always expect a report on your catching fish. When I first started to understand that the way a fish was caught was at least as important as catching it period, I fell in love with the bonito.

My largest bonito was pretty big. Standing it on its nose, the fork in the tail was even with the top of the stern rail on the southern cal when it was at Long Beach Sportfishing years ago. I'll never forget that one! I snagged it in the back to boot! What a fight. Everyone was screaming Yellowtail. Imagine my dissapointment then pride when he came aboard.

I'll bet mine is a younger brother to boneheads (fish) you've caught. I'd really be tempted to rent a skiff in Kings Harbor to catch them on the flyrod if I knew 1) the bones were there in numbers MOST of the time nowdays and 2) the sealions would not scare or go after the hooked bonito as they are so thick in Kings Harbor.

I won't ask where on the Horseshoe Kelp you fished as I guess that's part of the puzzle one has to find for onesself.

JapanRon
[signature]
nice going George. I heard Georgie Sager caught a few yellows on the iron. Blue and white Ironman #3.Just outside the green bouy. lets go!
[signature]
they WERE thick in kings harbor![Sad]

joe
[signature]
[cool]the Bones were hanging all over Catalina Island on Sunday.
[signature]
[email]I'm new to this so I hope I'm doing it right. I was at the shoe Saturday, we caught

a limit of sculpin and two legal halibut, but didn't see a bone. Then the wind came up and

the fish quit biting.We'll be back at em next week. Tight lines to ya .

Fredfisher.

[reply]
[signature]

Hey there Fredfisher,

Welcome to BFT and to the California Board. Sorry that I didn't notice your post to gvanzant. Just-off-the-boat or Just-returned-from-fishing reports are the life's blood of our forum. That and the willingness of everyone to share the knowledge and experience we have to make on-the-water time more fun and productive for everyone.

It won't hurt to tell us the boat's name, 1/2 or 3/4 day boat, bait situation, successful fishing method and ..... feel free to brag all you want. If it gets too intense.. I'll request pictures..... just joking. Pictures are nice though!

Again, welcome and we'll look forward to future reports and fishing with you and yours. We're a kind and gentler group of anglers.. as you'll notice.

I'm going out tomorrow on the Victory. I'll have a full report tomorrow.

JapanRon
[signature]
[cool] Hey there fredfisher, Welcome aboard and we are glad to have you. I am looking forward to sharing some of your experiences and sharing some of mine with you.

Just like JapanRon said, we like to see pics when you can get some. Have a good one and Happy fishing!
[signature]