Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Catfish on a fly?
Anyone ever caught cats on a fly? If so how???
[signature]
Yes I have.
[Image: Catfish2500-1.jpg]
[signature]
I said...... If so how? If you don't mind sharing.... I mean was it by luck? Or skills?
[signature]
I've caught several at Utah Lake and a few other places. Most of the time it's been by accident, but when I've targeted them, I've used clouser-style flies or something like this "Mata-Crappie", which I use for all sorts of things at UL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-c7f6vJR34

The pattern has caught on in the south where they fish a lot more for panfish and such.

I tend to mooch it along the bottom and along rocky structure. This is a good time of year to do it. I've also caught them stripping pretty quickly.
[signature]
Sorry! LOL Accident, Type II line, #12 Haresear. But I have had three accidents...[laugh] so, not a pro at it. Haresear on all three though and three different places.
[signature]
Thanks for the feedback. If i go somewhere thats full of cats ill have to give it a try.
[signature]
Caught my first just this week. Indicator nymphing with a Light Cahill wet fly. Casting along the edge of a weed bed. I was targeting trout but ended up with three Cats. The take was solid with the indicator going down just under the surface and staying there. No run or movement until I set.
[signature]
Here is a video that might give you some ideas too.
[signature]
man that looks like fun!! Adding catfish to my bucket list!! Those flies were cool too. I have never caught a cat even on a spinning rod(never tried) but now im on the hunt. thanks.
[signature]
Dude we have to get you on some catfish, when I lived down in provo I would fish utah lake all the time, Have a few good spots on the lake and thier is some beasts in their, never got one on a fly but did get my biggest fish ever out of that lake[cool], we will have to make a trip down thier one of these days its a blast!
[signature]