Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Great trip down south
Ive been meaning to head south for a couple years now and finally got the chance. Stayed for four days moving from place to place and the fishing was fantastic. I could have stayed there for a month exploring the many different places to fish. Four days treated me well though! This has been an amazing fishing year for me i sure hope it continues.

First good fish of the trip was this fat, and beautiful 18in brown. Unfortunately lost 2 others over twenty on this water but this guy made it worth it.
[inline GOPR0270.JPG]

My bro did good here as well hooking into this beast of a rainbow.
[inline DSCN0139.JPG]

The next day of fishing wasn't much to talk about only caught two. There seemed to be a bit of winterkill but the scenery was amazing, felt like a different planet. Also saw around twenty five elk and some fresh bear tracks so that was a bonus!
[inline DSCN0150.JPG]

After a long day of rough roads we finally made it down to a lower elevation lake and did well from the float tubes, made up for the crappy fishing earlier.

The next day we did some desert creek exploration and had a blast stalking weary browns in this tiny stream. Didn't catch much but the hike alone was worth the effort.
[inline DSCN0168.JPG]

[inline DSCN0170.JPG]

After leaving the creek we headed up to another lake with hopes to get into some nice fish. Turned out to be a good move, the fishing was amazing. Woke up early and paddled around in the tube dragging streamers with minimal success so i headed into shore to look for shoreline cruisers. They were there alright, and lots of them! They were taking dries but i couldn't fool them. Decided to tie on a scud and sight fish, it was nonstop action the rest of the day. Lots of beautiful good sized fish!

[inline GOPR0272.JPG]

These were some fat healthy fish and put up quite the fight.

[inline GOPR0277.JPG]

I kept seeing a few monster tigers in the area i was fishing and one turned down my fly about ten times before i finally got him to take. They wouldn't even look at it unless the fly was already in the water prior to them even being within sight so i guess it was just lucky timing. Anyways fought this 20+ inch tiger for about five minutes before he gave a violent headshake and snapped the line. I couldn't believe it, but i continued to fish and was finally rewarded. Fooled another one of the big boys again with lucky timing. I didn't even see the fish until my fly was two feet from shore and he came cruising in and took it. Amazing fight and i was a lot more cautious this time! 22in tiger and my biggest fish on a fly rod. Bad pics but oh well.
[inline GOPR0280.JPG]

The good fishing continued but the wind picked up and made sight fishing hard. Managed this beauty of a cutt though before it got too bad.

[inline GOPR0286.JPG]

It was an amazing trip and i will definitely be returning for years to come.
[signature]
Righteous! Great report, and congrats!
You should post a pic of the bear paw print, or make it an avatar yo.
[signature]
I would if we would have had the camera with us at the time...ha ha usually how it goes
[signature]