Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
help me
I want to start fly fishing. i have never done it before so i really don't know where to start. whats a good type of pole (length, wt. brand, etc..) i don't have a lot of money to spend on one so something a little on the cheaper side would be great. any info on fly fishing for a beginner would be much appreciated. Thanks.
[signature]
9 foot 5 weight Reddington or Echo Carbon rod, also check:

[url "http://www.allenflyfishing.com"]www.allenflyfishing.com[/url]

with RIO Gold line. should set you back, what.... 400 bucks max? but the rod and reel you get will last forever
[signature]
Brian-

Hey, I think you should take a look at some of the combo packs from Cabelas. There are some very affordable options listed that would be great for a beginner.

The type of fishing you plan on doing should determine what type of outfit you purchase. If you plan on hitting big rivers or lakes, then the 9 foot 5 weight is probably your best bet. If you plan on only dry fly fishing in small streams, then maybe look at a 7 foot 3 weight. Just like everything else in this world, it all depends. I would probably go with the 9 footer though because it's still effective on smaller waters, just a little more cumbersome.

Check Cabelas though.

[url "http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/browse/fishing-rod-reel-combos-fly-fishing-rod-reel-combos/_/N-1104843/Ns-CATEGORY_SEQ_105571980?WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104793480%3Bcat104762880&pcrid=8678834658"]http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/browse/fishing-rod-reel-combos-fly-fishing-rod-reel-combos/_/N-1104843/Ns-CATEGORY_SEQ_105571980?WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104793480%3Bcat104762880&pcrid=8678834658[/url]

gaetz
[signature]
Brian,

What the price point you are looking to spend ? I ask this question to all new fly anglers due to the fact that Fly fishing can be expensive sport.

I think today's fly angler has allot more options and there are many many inexpensive rods that fish like there top notch counterparts.

As for as the generics go I suggest like the others a 9 to 8' 6" foot 5 wt medium to medium fast rod.
[signature]
I agree with the 8'6" or 9' 5 wt. You can still catch and feel small creek fish, but you will also be able to fish bigger flies and poppers.
I do think you need to feel the rod first. Test it. I have seen many people buy kits that are terrible to cast. They end up in a corner and never used again, plus the fascination with fly fishing is gone.

Get a rod (not a pole) that feels good in your hand. A reel is just a place to hold line but a fair drag is good. Concentrate more on a good fly line. That is the most important thing next to fly choice and delivery.

Get a crappy line and it will frustrate you. Get a good line and you can cast it with a broom stick.
[signature]
Your profile says you work at Wallmart,I walked by some rods there the other day and was surprised at the qualty of rods for the price. would be a fine place to start for a beginner. 9' 5 wt. pick a better quality line to match. yard sales,D.I are other places to find a rod to start with. Find a local fly shop to get you flys so you can have a little better quality. Hang out here and ask questions.
[signature]
The combo packs at Walmart, Cabelas, Sportsmans and Fishtech are where I would start. You will get everything you need in the way of rod, reel and line for well under a hundred bucks.

Then what? Do you want to fish rivers, streams, lakes? Those ponds near you are easy places to wet a line and catch a fish on a fly.

So get a rod and come back on here and ask for help with your casting. Someone nearby you will meet you at a park or river and show you a thing or two. Then come back and ask what flies to buy for a specific type of water so that you don't spend any money you don't need to.

It's a lot to learn but well worth the time it takes.
[signature]