Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Carrying Case for Dropper Rigs
I seem to get too excited to tie good knots when out on a river or lake, so I try to have some dropper rigs readily available to throw at fish first thing.

Tried various ways to transport and keep them organized and finally came up with this idea. Just a long, plastic utility box with closed-cell foam to hold the rigs. I try to tie them long enough that the main fly and dropper end up on top, but it doesn't always work out that way.

Made my last few trips a little less hectic.
[signature]
That's a nice set up! I used to just hook them to my pack but that usually ended up in a tangled mess and having to re-tie anyways. I will have to try this out next time I head out. Thanks for sharing
[signature]
I have been using one of these for almost 10 years now.

http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=76kh

It is relatively small box and can fit in a pocket.
Another use for the inserts of this box, they are 6" long so I put my long leaders on them for deep nymphing. 20 to 30 foot leaders. Easy way to measure and store them.

Great idea you have there[Wink]
[signature]
Good job!
[signature]
The Orvis box is just what I was looking for. Cabela's had something similar in an old catalog but they no longer carry it, and the Orvis web site says its box is "unavailable." I'll keep an eye out hoping it becomes available.

I like that the Orvis box is rigid and easily allows for measurement of the tippet.

Using it to store 20' to 30' for deep nymphing is genius. That would sure make it easier tie on such a rig.
[signature]
Picked up the Orvis dropper box on eBay for $20 with shipping. A great long-term solution.
[signature]
Right On! They are cool.
[signature]
I think Im going to get one too let me know how you like it.
[signature]
I use the old leader pouches. In my boat I use CD cases.
[signature]